We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

The aggregator sites do not seem to have much availability at the beginning of April. Is that because hotels haven't published their availability, or is Kyoto just that popular during that time period?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

Many hotels in Japan won't take reservations more than 3 months in advance.

Kyoto in April is very popular! Mark your calendar for exactly 3 months before your check-out date and plan to make your reservation on that day.

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

That is what I hoped, thanks!

NYC
Level Contributor
443 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

A friend of mine has already had trouble booking for April but he found accommodations for May and changed his trip accordingly!

He uses booking.com and hotels.com......

Edited: 06 August 2014, 16:26
Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

>>Many hotels in Japan won't take reservations more than 3 months in advance.

I'm not sure if I would say many, certainly some hotels do not accept more than 3 months in advance, but many do via travel agency or online booking site like expedia, hotels.com, rakuten, japanican..... If the place you want to book isn't available now, it is best to book something now that has a free cancelation policy and you can check 3 months before your trip. I would not recommend just waiting with nothing booked. Things do fill up in Kyoto during cherry blossom season.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

A good point! Kyoto does get crowded during cherry blossom season. It might be prudent to grab a reservation now, if you can get one. Just be sure to remember to cancel it if you find something else.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,878 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

Many Japanese hotels open their bookings only 3- 6months before.

However, if you find a place you would prefer to stay, check if you can book through their website, or email/ call them directly.

Cary
Level Contributor
743 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

>>>>Many Japanese hotels open their bookings only 3- 6months before. However, if you find a place you would prefer to stay, check if you can book through their website, or email/ call them directly.

This is starting to change. As more and more able to be booked via online sites that I mentioned above. The ones that still don't accept reservations more than 3 months in advance usually will almost certainly not accept from a single request from one traveller. You can try, but it's unlikely. If you find one, best chance is to book through a travel agency like NTA or JTB or find a guide that has a connection with travel agency to get some of their allotment.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
311 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

I went this April and didn't book until very close (Feb and March) which was worrying me at the time as saw little availability but it turned out there were rooms available even then and I was really happy with the quality and price (I stayed in the Business Hotel style places). If you want your pick of lots of places of course book early though. I found it very handy having a hotel right at the big station as could get everywhere from there. Rooms are compact but really good quality for the price I found! Daini Tower Kyoto was really good.

9. Re: Does Kyoto book up this early for next April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2015, 05:16