We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jidai Matsuri, is it a must see?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
246 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Jidai Matsuri, is it a must see?

It is our first trip in Japan, ad we plan to spend 4 days in Tokyo - arriving on the 18th afternoon and leaving on the 22nd to Kyoto for another 4 days. Since Jidai Matsuri is on the 22nd is it worthwhile to change our plans and leave earlier from Tokyo on the 21st so that we experience this festival? If yes should we also visit the Kurama festival which is on the same day?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,247 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jidai Matsuri, is it a must see?

We wouldn't really know what's worth for you. With 4 days in Tokyo, what are you planning to do? Is that 4 days just for Tokyo or include day trip(s) to Nikko or elsewhere?

While Tokyo is an interesting enough city to keep you occupied for days and weeks, many things like (window) shopping and dining can be experienced in Kyoto as well. If your schedule isn't fully determined, and if you take interest in people in old costumes marching, then I suppose it won't be a bad thing to cut Tokyo into three days and add Kyoto another day.

http://www.kyokanko.or.jp/jidai

That said, I've been in festivals in Italy and Spain during the New Year, and I assume people in the Mediterranean countries tend to be extreeeeemly lively at festivals with crackers and bottle of fires (Greece could be quite different) . Kyoto being a historic aristocratic and religious capital has a more restrained feel when it comes to festivals, and this Jidai Matsuri in particular that I saw last year was interesting but not something very "exciting" (like the Sanja Matsuri of Tokyo with a "rough" reputation).

Covering Kurama Himatsuri and Jidai Matsuri (if it falls in one day; have to check myself) might be tough; do prepare your schedules well.

Edited: 12 August 2014, 11:13
2. Re: Jidai Matsuri, is it a must see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:17