We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

Hilton Head Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

Is it a 2 hour ride from the cruise terminal to the sights in Kyoto? If so, how does one arrange transportation and a tour of Kyoto?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

Without noting at least where you would be landing we would be clueless. It's like asking how to get to Atlanta but without telling whether you'd be coming from Charleston or Jacksonville or Tampa or Savanna or Brunswick.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 14:48
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

Although I suspect that you might be coming from either of the Maizuru Ports. Apparently Buffalo is in New York State (likewise, Kyoto Prefecture is not equal to Kyoto City).

Edited: 28 August 2014, 14:51
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

There are runs of Ltd Exp Maizuru trains to Kyoto Station. The train typically takes about 1hr 45-50 minutes.

JR Higashi-Maizuru Station departures: 06:38, 08:24, 10:24, 12:28, 14:27, 16:27, 18:07

JR Nishi-Maizuru Station departures: 06:46, 08:31, 10:32, 12:36, 14:34, 16:35, 18:15

The area has its own tourist attraction, the Amano Hashidate. Also, the name Obama might be allergic to roughly half of USA citizens, but it's a nice old quaint port town not too far away from Maizuru ports.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 15:15
Hilton Head Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

The cruise ship goes to Kobe, but now I understand there is more than one port and I don't know which one.

Hilton Head Island...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

The cruise ship will be docked in Kobe, but I do not know which one.

We just want to do about 4 or 5 hours of sightseeing in Kyoto.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

See the map of Kobe Bay Area: feel-kobe.jp/_en/guidemap/data/minato_en.pdf

Your cruise boat will dock at either Naka Pier: D3, or Port Island: E7. If Naka Pier then you may like to either walk it or cab it to JR Motomachi/JR Sannomiya Station; if Port Island then Port Liner (un-manned railroad vehicle) can whisk you to JR Sannomiya. From either JR station, take a rapid train going east, via Osaka, for you to get to JR Kyoto without transfer. Yes, you can get a cab or take subway from JR Sannomiya to JR Shin Kobe in case you like to go through (partially) with a shinkansen bullet train ride to JR Kyoto.

Once in Kyoto, you will end up taking a bus, subway, or a cab to your first-pick venue. FYI, lots of overseas visitors drop in at Info Center located in JR Kyoto so they can be equipped with necessary info.

(Note JR is an acronym of Japan Railways)

Edited: 28 August 2014, 19:02
Texas
Level Contributor
535 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

If the OP is on Celebrity Millenium sailing Oct 26, we are scheduled to dock at the Kobe Port Terminal (not the Naka Pier Terminal). It has also been reported that there will be shuttle busses to take you to Motomachi station. I did not verify this information myself.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,603 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

If it's Kobe Port Terminal you dock at then see: …kobe.lg.jp/culture/…accessmap-1.pdf

The terminal above is right outside Port Island, so technically it's my oversight the way I suggested the location of it. Sorry about that.

california
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

We are arriving in Osaka on the celebrity millineum on 10/1 for 2 days. The first day we are coming in at 11, so we thought we'd go to kyoto on the 2nd. The problem is I am getting mixed messages about where we will dock. At first I was told kobe port and now I'm told it is Tempozan pier in Osaka, but that could change. I'm afraid to book a private tour when I am uncertain where we will dock, so we are thinking of doing it ourselves. How would we get from Tempozan pier to kyoto? Which train would we take and is it close to the pier? Which stop in kyoto has several interesting sites to see? This is our first time, so we are open to any ideas. Do the trains run often back to osaka. Our ship leaves at 6, so what time should we head back. Can you pay for the train fare with credit cards or do we need yen? Approximately how much is the fare? Thank you for any guidance?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,407 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How to get from cruise ship to Kyoto

A FAQ, but no fixed answer.

At Tempozan, Ride bus 88 and final stop is JR Osaka station. From there, you can catch JR or Hankyu Train to Kyoto.

www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html…