We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snow monkeys walk

UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
snow monkeys walk

hi

if visiting the snow monkeys in december and getting dropped off, how long is the walk involved and how treacherous is it?

thanks

Hugo

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snow monkeys walk

Although the sign states that the walk takes 25mins, but it took me and my family around 45mins for the walk from the start of the walk to reach the snow monkeys area.

The path is pretty flat, just that it ends with a flight of stairs up to a higher level.

See photos of my visit there here:

…blogspot.sg/2013/03/japan-dec12-day-6-yudan…

I visited the snow monkeys park twice on the same trip (4 days apart), so here is the other blogpost of my 2nd visit:

…blogspot.sg/2013/03/japan-dec12-day-10-noza…

UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snow monkeys walk

it looks very slippery - was it?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snow monkeys walk

On my first visit, since it was raining and there wasn't much snow, so the grounds were muddy. And on some parts where there were slight slope, then yes, it was a tad slippery. But overall not too bad.

On my 2nd visit a couple of days later, since it was snowing pretty heavily on that day, so there were fresh snow on the grounds, so nope, it wasn't really slippery.

UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snow monkeys walk

Hi

how snowy is it usually at the end of december?

Thanks

Hugo

Edited: 04 March 2014, 20:32
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snow monkeys walk

If you are really worried about falling on slippery snow surface, then you can consider bringing attachable spikes for your shoes with you.

My 2nd visit to the snow monkeys was on 26 dec 2012. But that was also 2 days after the heavy snow fall which we had on christmas eve, therefore that place looked so white and different compared to my first visit just 4 days before.

It really depends on your luck, since weather these days are really unpredictable.

You will most probably see at least some snow in the surroundings and grounds.

But as to how thick that snow will be like, I really can't say for sure.

You can check the snow monkey livecam closer to the date of your visit to see how that place looks like though:

jigokudani-yaenkoen.co.jp/livecam/…index.htm

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snow monkeys walk

I think it ranges from being "quite snowy" and "not so snowy". Sam has nice blog pictures that are suggestive of the place in Winter.

Treacherous, no.

You're recommended to wear good walking shoes or boots.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 20:41
UK
Level Contributor
117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snow monkeys walk

thanks for all your advice. my visit will be at almost exactly the same time of year so hopefully i will be in luck.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
441 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snow monkeys walk

Hopefully it will snow on the day of your visit then :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snow monkeys walk

Stay away from the edge of the trail. There is no fence (at least the last time I was there 8 years ago).

The trail is wide, around 8 feet, but often the snow is packed or turned to slippery ice. If you walk along the edge, you could slip and fall over. It's a steep drop to the bottom, though if you are lucky, you can catch a bush on the way down.

But that is one thing I always notice about the place . . .

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
929 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snow monkeys walk

We walked in from the carpark in April. There was very little snow but the bridge across the river was icy and VERY slippery.