We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day trip from Osaka

CANADA
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
One day trip from Osaka

I'm staying in Osaka for 2 nights, wondering if I should visit Koyoto or Nara for a day, can anyone give me suggestions?

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day trip from Osaka

Hi

You can visit Kyoto as it only takes like 15 minutes to get there with the Shinkansen. Himeji Castle and Hiroshima is also within reach. My wife and I went to Japan in May and I have posted a trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day trip from Osaka

Hiroshima would be bit far and anyway Kyoto and Nara are more interesting. Likewise Himeji Castle is wonderful but I would say see Kyoto or Nara as first choice.

I would put Kyoto just above Nara if you can only visit one.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: One day trip from Osaka

I agree with Jaygee. Kyoto would be my first choice as well. Kyoto is a beautiful old town with many temples and shrines, such as Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion), Kiyomizudera Temple, Ryoanji Temple, Nijo Castle, Sanjusangendo Hall, etc. Please check "http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html" for further information on Kyoto.

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: One day trip from Osaka

p.s. My second choice would be Nara. Besides temples, you can meet a lot of deer there. If you visit Nara, I would recommend that you buy "Shika Senbei" (deer cookies) on street and feed the deer. It will be a lot of fun!

New York
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: One day trip from Osaka

I forgot to mention "Rubydoo's Trip Report," which has a lot of good information. Highly recommended reading!!!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day trip from Osaka

Nara has three major attractions; Kyoto has more like three hundred! Visiting Nara could be easily handled in a single long day; if I live to be 125 and go to Kyoto for at least a week annually until then I still won't have my fill.

You should look into what Kyoto has to offer, then make a list of what sounds interesting and keep on whittling it down until you have a Top Five or Top Ten. That way you can see what you'd most like to see with the time you have.

PHOENIX
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day trip from Osaka

Do Kyoto and Nara and possibly Hiroshima but skip Himeji. You don't have enough time and all of those other aforementioned places will take a day each.