We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swissotel Nankai standard room

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Swissotel Nankai standard room

I'm considering booking a room here for our last night in Osaka as checkout is at midday instead of 10am, and it will be convenient for the train to KIX. I read that late check-out until 6pm is also available and we may use it as our plane doesn't leave until 9pm.

On www.hotels.com we can get a classic room (queen bed) for AU$185 at the moment. It says the room is for 2 people, but it sounds very cheap to me. Will it have the bed pushed into a corner of the room and therefore only really suit one person? On www.wotif.com it describes it as a room for 1 person only.

If the exchange rate stays the same in the next 6 weeks a classic room at this price isn't much more than a twin room at the Comfort Hotel Shinsaibashi where we're currently booked in. For the extra convenience on our last night the Swissotel would be worth it as long as the room really does suit 2 people.

Has anyone stayed in the classic room there and if so can 2 people can fit comfortably into it?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swissotel Nankai standard room

Actually, I've just found some photos of the "classic" room. It looks fine to me - bed not pushed into the corner and even room for a small table and 2 chairs. i don't know why wotif will only sell it as a single room.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swissotel Nankai standard room

I just returned from a stay at the Swissotel in a classic room. It was certainly large enough for two people, with a queen sized bed, two chairs and a table, a desk, a dresser with a flat screen TV, etc.

Note that information I read while at the hotel stated that late check out was allowed, but not free. You would be prorated according to the amount of hours you stayed beyond the 12:00 p.m. check out time. They will store your luggage for you after check out.

The location is very, very convenient, as the train station for the train that will take you directly to the hotel is located right under the hotel.

I had a room on the 19th floor, which was supposedly a nonsmoking room, but my room reeked of cigarettes. I was sick and too tired to complain as I was staying only one night. Whether this is often a problem or not, I don't know.

While I was there a package for use of the gym, internet access and breakfast for one person was 3500 JY which seemed quite high to me.

Overall though, I would definately recommend this hotel, just for the convenience of the location.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swissotel Nankai standard room

Thanks Gracie

I'm not sure if I will book the Swissotel after all. While the classic room isn't that expensive and the location is convenient, we can get free breakfast and internet at the Comfort Hotel, so in the end it works out a lot cheaper.

I realize that the late checkout will cost something - I think I read half a night's rate until 6pm. But whether that's half the cheap rate off hotels.com or half their rack rate, I don't know.

I also wouldn't appreciate being put in a smoking room if I'd requested a non-smoking one.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swissotel Nankai standard room

I personally don't think it's worth the money to pay for a late check-out. You will be spending most of your day outside the hotel room anyway. Just leave your luggage at the hotel front desk and allow some time to do the re-packing should you buy some additional items. I always just do this off to the side of the hotel lobby.

If you don't fancy dragging your bags to Namba for the Airport ride, you can always take a taxi. It should cost more than 800 Yen or so, definitely less than 1,000 Yen.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swissotel Nankai standard room

Yes Sammy, I'm in two minds about requesting a late check-out. It IS expensive seeing as we'll be out most of the day looking at shops etc, but it would be nice to be able to go back to the room in the afternoon and have a rest and a shower before going to the airport.

It's a 9 hour flight home and I never sleep and my ankles swell up from being upright for so long.

How will a taxi be at about 5pm on a week-day? It could be a bit slow getting to Namba at that time being peak hour therefore expensive? We might be better off dragging our luggage there perhaps.

Or should we take our luggage to Namba in the morning after check-out from the Comfort Hotel and put it in lockers, if there are any?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,339 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swissotel Nankai standard room

If you want to put your bags at Namba, the lockers will cost you 1,000 Yen anyway (the usual cost is 500 Yen for the large sized). In that case, you might as well take a taxi.

It's probably easier if you take the subway from Shinsaibashi to Namba if you don't want a taxi. The walk is quite long with luggage. I dragged my bags from the northern end of Namba station (Cross Hotel) to Nankai Namba and it was a solid 7-8 minutes. From Shinsaibashi, it'd be 5 more minutes on foot.

7. Re: Swissotel Nankai standard room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 05:33