We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Topic
suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

have done more research on transport...

think i shall buy a 4-days JR west pass (Sanyo) for travel:

1) Kansai airport straight to Hiroshima (via Sanyo Shinkansen or shd it be via Sanyo Main Line?) - 1st day

2) JR ferry to Miyajima (and back to Hiroshima) - 1st day

3) Hirsohima to Osaka - 2nd day

4) Osaka to Himeiji (and visit Arima Onsen) and back to Osaka- 2nd day

5) Osaka to Kobe and back to Osaka – 3rd day

6) Osaka to Nara and back to Osaka – 4th day

7) Osaka – 5th day

Activate 2-day Kansai Thru Pass on 6th day

8) Osaka to Kyoto – 6th day

9) Kyoto – Kansai airport – 7th

What you guys think of this travelling sequence?

too packed?

also, is my idea of the JR pass and Kansai Thru Pass purchases economically sensible?

all comments welcome..

thanks

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

Just a minor observation.....

On 8) you go Osaka--Kyoto, then next day Kyoto--Kansai airport. Are you planning to change your hotel and spend the last night in Kyoto? If so, you might consider not changing hotels. It's only about a 30 minute train ride into Kyoto from Osaka, and if you add changing hotels, checking in and out and storing luggage, it will waste time. If possible, just keep your Osaka hotel, leave very early in the morning to Kyoto, spend the day, then back to Osaka late at night.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

1. Kansai to Hiroshima: Take Haruka Limited Express to Shinosaka then transfer to Shinkansen Nozomi

3/4. Himeji is on the way between Hiroshima and Osaka so you should stop and see Himeji before continuing back to Osaka.

5. Arima Onsen is between Osaka and Kobe. You should go from Osaka to Arima Onsen and then to Kobe. Having said that, Kyoto is worth another day, much more so than going to Kobe.

8/9. Kansai Thru Pass is not a very good deal in my opinion. It costs 3,800 Yen and it does not provide a direct connection between Kyoto and Kansai Airport. You'd have to go back to Namba station at Osaka to catch Nankai Airport Line. The plus of the Kansai Thru Pass is it includes transport within Kyoto.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

good idea...i think i shall not stay overnite at Kyoto, but instead based totally in Osaka instead...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

hi sammyfloyd

As i would be carrying luggage after leaving Hiroshima, i thought it would be better that i go to Osaka, leave the luggage at the Osaka hotel before venturing to Himeiji the next day.

For Arima Onsen and Kobe, is it alright to do them within a day-trip?

Also, what's good to see at Kobe, other than Arima Onsen? Feel like gng to Mt Rokko and Arima Onsen and skip the rest in Kobe... practical?

If i do not stay overnite at Kyoto, but instead make a day trip to Kyoto, then would it still be worthwhile to get the 2-days Kansai Thru Pass?

My thinking for the Pass is that:

- Osaka to Kyoto and back to Osaka (cost abt 1710 yen altogether)

- Osaka to Kansai Airport (if i buy at the station, it will cost me abt 1160yen via JR Kanku Rapid from Osaka to Kansai).

so within 2 days in Osaka and Kyoto itself, would i be able to incur up to 930 yen of transport?

many thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

You can probably find lockers at Himeji Station for your luggage. Just be sure to get there early if you need larger lockers since there aren't as much of those around.

Arima Onsen can be done as a day trip or an overnight stay. Note from my previous post that I am actually recommending you skip Kobe and spend the extra day at Kyoto instead. If you really want to see Kobe, the harbour front gives a nice view, and the Earthquake Museum is worthwhile. Note that the major train station at Kobe is Sannomiya, not Kobe.

I will look at the Kansai Thru Pass later if somebody hasn't given you the information by then.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

I have a suggested change. First, while I love Kobe it isn't a great tourist city. If you can, why not skip Kobe/Arima and go to Kinosaki? I would go from Hiroshima to Himeji, and then from Himeji to Kinosaki (2 hours); stay the night there in a nice ryokan (inn), sampling the numerous baths in the town (your inn will give you tickets to the baths). Then go from Kinosaki to Kyoto/Osaka the following afternoon. (I think Kyoto is a better place to stay on such a short trip since that is the true cultural center of the area.). The only question is if the JR Sanyo pass covers the trip to Kinosaki; I'm unclear if it does or not.

John W.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

Hi John

thanks for the recommendation on Kinosaki..

but does JR West Pass (Sanyo area) covers the JR train to Kinosaki?

From the site http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3525.html, i just cant seem to find the travel guide from Himeji to Kinosaki...care to share?

i think i may need to rework on my travelling sequence again...

also, if I have one spare day, which shd i choose to take a day trip, Nara or Kobe? thanks again

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
47,590 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

"i just cant seem to find the travel guide from Himeji to Kinosaki...care to share?"

¥3960 - 1hour 45min via LTD.EXP HAMAKAZE - www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,725 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

Nara is definitely a better day trip than Kobe.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
256 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: suggestion for itinerary - 7D 6N

thanks for the information...

now i guess i am more determined to skip Kobe now...

on 2nd thoughts, i may want to skip Nara as well and spend the day in Osaka instead...just realised that i am not leaving enough day trips for Osaka itself...

as for kinoseki, though it seems to be a nice place to go...but the travelling hours are putting me off a bit..

would you guys recommend me to drop by Arima Onsen just to try out the Onsen culture?

Or would there be anywhere else in Hiroshima, Osaka or Kyoto to try Onsen?

thanks