We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Exempt!

Papua
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Exempt!

Hello.

According to travel information sites, including the Japanese Embassy, it appears I, as a US passport holder, can enter Japan VISA EXEMPT. So, does this mean I just collect my bags and walk up to the immigration desk and they'll wave me on through? How does this whole "visa exempt" thing work?

Anyone else done this? Tips, please... Advice much appreciated!

seattle
Level Contributor
671 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Exempt!

Actually, you go through immigration formalities first, then pick up your bags and go through customs. And it's not inclusive of all forms of travel. The visa exemption applies to certain categories of travel, such as sightseeing and business trips, up to 90 days. If you are going as tourist, then the visa waiver applies. Entry/exit details are described in the following:

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1148.html

www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/02.html#a

You should rely on the official sites for definitive information on matters such as this, though.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,727 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Exempt!

As a US Passport holder, you don't need to get a visa in advance. On the plane, fill out the landing card given out by the flight attendant. When you arrive Japan, present your landing card and your passport to Japanese immigration. You will also be fingerprinted (done electronically and quickly), and your photograph will be taken by a small camera. Your passport will then be stamped. You can then be on your way to baggage claim and customs.

Visa exempt does not mean they will just look at your passport and waive you through.

Papua
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Exempt!

Thank you very much for your informative reply. I will be able to confidently face this trip knowing just what I should expect in Taipei!

Blessings to you!

Papua
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Exempt!

Sorry...I meant "what to expect in Osaka", not Taipei! It's been a hectic day here, and my mind is in a million places right now!

:-)

5. Re: Visa Exempt!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 08:29