We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osaka, family friendly?

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Osaka, family friendly?

I am thinking about a family holiday to Osaka (2 adults, 8yo and 6yo) Is it a family friendly place to visit, are there plenty of things to visit with the kids and are there plenty of places to eat that welcome kids?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osaka, family friendly?

Generally yes. However, it really depends on what kids are interested in, and what you would like to show to the kids.

There are amusement parks like Universal Studios Japan (park based on the themes of Hollywood movies). There is Kaiyukan, an aquarium that is one of the largest in the world, where you can meet whale sharks. There are many attractions and shopping places in Osaka city where you can safely enjoy with children. Children are welcome in most restaurants and cafes.

Of course, there are many large toy stores.

Also, around Osaka, within 30-40 minutes by train, there are more touristic cities such as Kyoto and Nara with many historic sites. I think your kids would love feeding tame deer at Nara Park.

Japan is generally safe for children and family friendly. There are a few corners of the city that you don't want your children's innocent eyes to see. For instance, I would not recommend taking your children around Tsutenkaku in Tennoji or Nishinari in Osaka, but they are not unsafe places.

Osaka and Kobe are cities known for Yakuza criminal groups, but these people are predictable and have their own way of doing business. They generally do not interfere with common citizens (let alone foreign families on tourist trips) unless you interfere with them.

Edited: 14 April 2011, 11:09
Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Osaka, family friendly?

I would suggest staying in Kyoto rather than Osaka, unless you have a particular reason to choose the larger city. Osaka is a great place and there's a ton of things to do. But Kyoto has a great many things to do. There are a lot of temples and shrines; the Kitayama monkey park is very nice; you can take a cable car up to Mt. Hiei; an hour north is Hikone, a nice castle with great views; an hour south is Osaka, with the aquarium and a castle of its own that is very cool. Nara is also close, and you could make a day trip to the Iga Ueno Ninja Village in Mie Prefecture.

Good luck!

John W.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osaka, family friendly?

Right said, worthj1970.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osaka, family friendly?

I would also do a day trip to Nara the kids will love the deer.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,360 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osaka, family friendly?

Whether you pick Osaka or Kyoto is up to you. They really are both good bases. My concern is you kids might not love going to shrine after shrine and temple after temple. An extended Kyoto stay might bore them a bit.

Otherwise, Osaka is as kid-friendly as a Japanese modern city can be. Besides the amusement park, Nissin has a ramen museum that offers noodle-making lessons and it should be great for kids.

http://www.nissin-noodles.com/english.htm

Nara is a great place to go. The park with deers is certainly very popular.

Yakuza won't bother with you so don't worry.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Osaka, family friendly?

Thanks so much for the replies will keep researching!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Osaka, family friendly?

Osaka has the aquarium, and universal studios a couple of ferris wheels def my pick just went there with a 2 year old and she loved it, also went to Kyoto, to monkey park and loved it as well.

both great places and kids are welcomed anywhere, the Japanese love kids anywhere.

Enjoy

8. Re: Osaka, family friendly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 06:17