We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

Hi,

I am planning for a trip to Kyoto and Osaka in December 2011. I will be travelling from Kyoto Station to Namba station (as I will be staying at the Fraser Residence Nankai Namba). I would like to know if there is an economical way (yet travel-friendly with big suitcases) to travel from Kyoto station to Namba Station.

If possible, I would like to avoid JR trains since I heard they are quite expensive.

Many thanks,

Kh

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

JR lines are not as expensive, if you take the local lines (eg, don't take the SHINKANSEN from Kyoto to ShinOsaka)

The easiest way is probably taking the JR special rapid service train from Kyoto Station to ShinOsaka Station. At ShinOsaka Station, change to the Midosuji Subway line to Namba Station (looking at googlemaps, use exit number 5 or 6 at subway namba on the midosuji line)

810yen total from Kyoto.

(Kyoto-Shinosaka 540yen)

(Shinosaka-Namba 270yen)

Edited: 09 August 2011, 07:57
London
Level Contributor
449 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

I agree with the above. Sometimes you have to walk up the platforms to find lifts or escalators, but I've had no problems lugging heavy luggage around this area. Likewise I agree with taking special rapid/express services against the Shinkansen and this will save cost. With Namba, overground trains come in from the south, so it makes sense to get the subway down from Shin Osaka (or Osaka if the train goes in to there).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,151 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

JR lines aren't that expensive unless you take limited express or Shinkansen trains. Local JR fares are similar to subway fares.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

Don't know if this will help you but we stayed in Namba earlier this month. We used the Keihan Line to get to Kyoto. We went from Namba station on the Midousuji subway line to Yodoyabashi then got onto the Keihan Line direct to Gion Shijo station in Kyoto. So it would be the opposite way from Kyoto to Namba. Coming out of Namba is so easy and the hotel you mentioned is super easy to find. Funnily enough I am heading back in December and staying there as well!

This was a pretty easy way to go. I guess it all depends on what times you are traveling with your luggage. All up this trip costs 600 yen.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,460 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

If the op is starting her trip at Kyoto Station, she should take the JR train to Shin-Osaka and transfer to the Midosuji Line. The fare would be JR 560 +subway 230=770yen.

If she is staring her trip near Demachiyanagi, Gion, or Gojo, she should take the Heihan Line to Yodoyabashi and the subway to Namba. The fare=600-660 yen.

She should take the Hankyu Line to Umeda and the subway to Namba if she's starting near Shijo Kawaramachi. The fare=620 yen.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

ShinOsaka to Namba on the subway is 270yen.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,460 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

My bad! Tokyosubway is right. I just made LA-Tokyo trip yet again and totally jet lagged :-)

From Kyoto to Shin-Osaka by JR =540 yen. Shin-Osaka to Namba by subway= 270 yen. Total=810 yen.

If you transfer from JR to the subway at Osaka/Umeda the subway fare is 230 yen. Total = 770 yen.

The transfer is much easier at Shin-Osaka.

Adelaide, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

Thank you so much for all your advice!! That makes my planning a lot easier. I am staying at Citadines near Gojo station in Kyoto so I guess I will be travelling to Osaka from Kyoto station.

One more question though, when I tried looking up directions to get to Osaka, I came across a lot of Namba station. Are all the Namba stations located at the same spot?

Thanks!!

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

All the Namba Stations are located in the "general area" of each other rather then being one massive station. An alternate spelling of Namba you see on maps is "Nanba" it is the same, however on Japanese station signs it's "Namba".

As I mentioned if you take the Subway Midosuji line, take the exit number 5 or 6 to get to your hotel (seen on Googlemaps).

If you enter "Fraser Residence Nankai Namba" into googlemaps you'll see the hotel listed. Zoom in and go a little north and you'll see the underground Namba station "mido-suji" of Nanba Station. You'll see exit 5 or 6 is your best bet if exiting from the subway.

From Gojo Station, ideally you'd take the Subway to Kyoto Station. JR Special Rapid to ShinOsaka Station. Then Midosuji subway line to Namba Station.

Edited: 12 August 2011, 06:31
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
692 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to get from Kyoto station to Namba station

Alternatively you could make the short walk or a taxi ride to Kiyomizu-Gojo station and then jump on the Keihan Line to Shichijo station (only 1 minute) and then swap to trains to the one that goes to Yodoyabashi in Osaka. You don't leave the station you just stay on the platform and get on a different train, it is really easy to do.

From Yodoyabashi you change to the Midosuji subway line and that takes you straight to Namba and take the exit as tokyosubway said above.

We did the exact same thing earlier this month coming back. It was stress free and super easy. Costs 600yen all up and takes about 70 minutes.