We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Koyasan

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Koyasan

We are travelling back from Hiroshima en route to Kansai International airport and require accommodation for one night. We need to be at the airport at 1800hrs and are thinking of doing a day trip to Mt Koyasan. Does any one have any suggestions where 4 people could stay this final night and how best to get to Mt Koyasan, if this is possible to do in a day. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Koyasan

I'm not sure I understand - you say you want to go to Koyasan as a day trip, but you also ask for advice regarding accommodation - did you have a day trip or an overnight trip in mind?

And in case you only want to do a day trip, do you want to go there the same day that your flight leaves or the day before (and spend the last night in Osaka)?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Koyasan

Mt Koya is not an easy place to get to and it's all about the experience of staying with the monks and participating in the morning service so if you can't stay the night it's not worth it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Koyasan

We thought we might stay near the airport and go to Koyasan for the half day before our flight left. From another post it seems as if it is only worth the trip if you stay there overnight, possibly with the monks.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Koyasan

If I am understanding correctly, you want to leave Hiroshima early in the morning and get to Koya-san before heading to the airport for your departure the next day. The trip to Koya-san requires several transfers and thus would be stressful as a day trip on the same day you need to get to the airport.

However, if you left Hiroshima very early in the morning and carefully planned your connections, you could get there for the afternoon, spend the night, and leave early the next morning for the airport. It is not impossible, but certainly requires planning. I would suggest you work with a local travel agency (like JNTO or ?? maybe others could recommend). You will purchase all tickets ahead of time and have a precise itinerary. The Osaka subway/train system is rather easy to navigate, and your travel to Koya-san, then back to Osaka, then to KIX would all go through Osaka.

Here is a helpful web site: http://www.shukubo.jp/eng/index.html

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Koyasan

Our posts crossed.....and I forgot to add.....I think that a visit to Koya-san is wonderful with an overnight stay, but I don't think it's essential. The place itself is unique and fascinating. But a day trip on the day you also need to get to the airport, with the scheduling like it would have to be because of the transportation involved.....I'm not sure that would be worth it because it would be so rushed.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mt Koyasan

Thank you to everyone who has replied to this post. We will obviously have to rethink our plans for our return from Hiroshima. Thank you again so much for your help

7. Re: Mt Koyasan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 02:17