We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hamburgers

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hamburgers

I like to try local hamburgers, partly because I did an assignment on fast food years ago that was very interesting :-). (That's about the extent of my foodieness.) Are there any unusual or standout chains/ places? Don't care about the 'gourmet' burgers they serve in upmarket places.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hamburgers

mos burger, freshness burger are 2 chains that come to mind. rice burger is a beef patty that comes between rice "buns". mcd's has its own regional adaptations too.

tokyo
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hamburgers

MOS Burger chain.

Also even Japan McDonalds has menu items not found in other countries as well.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
22,901 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hamburgers

http://www.mos.co.jp/menu/

http://www.freshnessburger.co.jp/menu/

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hamburgers

Thanks - these look great. Are they nation wide? MacD's too - part of the assignment was about variations in maccas :-). Be interesting to experience what I was writing about.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hamburgers

MOS Burger is worth trying because you want to try Japanese style fast food. I have never liked them. There is a small place here in Kobe near Hankyu Rokko Station that is really, really good. They make Kobe Beef burgers and their chips/french fries are made in-house from fresh potatoes. It is called "Burger Pit" and worth the trip if you come to Kobe. "Shin's Burger" is also very good in Kobe but out of the way for train travelers. Burger Pit is better and more convenient to get to. The "set" meal there is around 1,000 yen for a cheese burger, side of fries/chips and soft drink. I find it cheap for a Kobe beef burger and hand-cut potatoes but others on a budget may think it is expensive. Shin's Burger is a bit more expensive.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hamburgers

Oh, we'll be there. Must print these :-).

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hamburgers

If you do end up here and want to try Shin's Burger, it is nearest to the Hankyu train line as well. Hankyu Oji Station is probably a good 15 minutes from there. Not too bad. And it is a nice residential area. You would go out the EAST exit and turn left, which is north and then turn right at the Asnas Convenience store. Take the next left and go up the hill. At the 2nd traffic light, turn Right onto a slightly busy street and Shin's Burger is just a few minutes down that street on the right. There's also a great new cafe closer to Oji Station with good atmosphere and delicious desserts. I've only been there twice but it is soon to be a regular spot for me. It is at the bottom of that hill that you will walk up and down.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
4,969 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hamburgers

Burger Pit in Kobe is easier to get to when you walk there from Hankyu Rokko Station. It takes about 8 minutes from there on foot. It is south and east from the station. You pretty much have to walk along the Hankyu train line on the south side of the tracks heading east for a few minutes and it is on your right. The street runs along side of the train tracks. You will see a Kentucky Fried Chicken near there. Burger Pit is on that same street and just down a bit. On your way back, you could duck under the train tracks thru one of the narrow passages and walk along the north side of the tracks and as you get closer to the station, there is a Dutch waffle/wafer shop. They make good sweets there. They only have one table and a counter but you can carry away some sweets if you are in the mood for dessert after the Burger Pit.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,924 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hamburgers

MOS burgers aren't that fab but good for a nationwide chain. I don't like rice burgers that much though. I often order roosu-katsu baagaa (cutlet burger) and teriyaki chicken baagaa, but actually found out recently that plain MOS burger is in fact better. The beef pate and veggies are of superior quality than what's inside McD for sure. You'd recognize the difference. But the burger is small and the taste is a bit too sweet. If I had a choice between MOS and Burger King, I'd pick BK.

Freshness burgers are okay. I like the fact that I can put on as much ketchup or mustard as you like (even Lea and Perrins sauce if my memory is correct) to your burger or fries, which is a great advantage against McD.

Edited: 11 November 2011, 09:36
Amstelveen, The...
Level Contributor
300 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hamburgers

Not sure if they are Japanese or Hawaian, but I like Kua'Aina chain. Great burgers. There is a shop in Namba Parks in Osaka: http://www.kua-aina.com/

I also recommend Mos Burger and Freshness Burger. The temporary/limited burgers at McDonalds can be quite good and unique too.