We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Malaysia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Hi... I visited Tokyo last year. And I am planning to visit Osaka in Sakura next year for 10 day 9 nights... I have few places in my mind to visit, Osaka, kyoto, Kobe, Nara and .... Any places to suggest which is nearby?

Need some advise on the itinery for the above places. Should I stay over night at each of the place? Or should I stay in Osaka only? Please help.... Thank you.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Osaka is a nice place to stay, and cheaper than Kyoto - but it does depend on what you want to do. Train journeys to your surrounding cities are not long.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Would be a hassle switching hotels every other day or so, given that you need to pack and unpack your things each time you check out and check in. So you'd be better off staying put in one place, or not changing your base more than twice. Not sure if you like what I'm suggesting, but 8days are long enough time for an average overseas tourist to extend his/her trip well outside the kansai area...

Malaysia
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Thanks for the reply.. I do have chugoku in my mind... But yet to decide...

Edited: 27 May 2012, 11:14
Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Given the time of the year you are visiting you will need to book in advance.

For nine nights I would consider it worth staying in two different places such as Kyoto and Osaka. You can see most of what is worth seeing in Nara city in a day or two, but you should definitely go to Yoshino (www.gojapango.com/travel/nara_yoshino.htm) which is in Nara Prefecture. It is considered to be the best place in Japan to see cherry blossom. They have 30,000 trees there.

There are two other main parts to Nara (city), the area around the main city and Nara Park where most of the attractions are. Then there is Horyuji Temple, which is worth seeing, but give Hokkiji Temple a miss. It is a bit of a hassle to get to and just an average site.

http://www.gojapango.com/travel/nara.htm

Edited: 01 June 2012, 07:08
Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

I would base myself in one place as they're all quite near one another, Kyoto has more places to visit so that would be my choice but as others have said Osaka does have cheaper accommodation.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Hi there Kyoto and Osaka are only 15 mins apart so its not to difficult to travel between the two. Some people stay in Osaka as its usually cheaper but for a few dollars more you get so much more atmosphere in kyoto, especially if you stay in the gion area. One other suggestion if you want to do something different is to spend a night at a temple in koyasan. Its one of the largest buddhist centers in japan and it is also home to the largest buddhist cemetery in japan. Its also one of those really authentic japanese experiences from the vegan meals, which are usually dinner and breakfast (included in the price usuallY) beautifully served but not very filling to getting up at the crack of dawn to watch the monks at prayer. Do walk through the cemetery at night - its partly lit by lanterns and with the huge trees and graves all around its one of those rather surreal and if you are alone like i was spooky experiences. You can easily reach koyasan from Osaka or kyoto. It was one of the highlights to my trip to japan

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Angie, Kyoto and Osaka, from the center of the city to the center of the city via train are 30 minutes apart using the fastest train.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

Angie's probably thinking about the Bullet train from Shin-Osaka being only 15 mins away.

...which is fine for anyone with a JR Pass but if you haven't got one...

If I was doing a lot of sightseeing in the Kyoto area I wouldn't commute from Osaka each day, besides the hassle, the cheaper cost saving of staying in Osaka would be negated by the price of the commute.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,941 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

I am a proponent for switching hotels between Osaka and Kyoto *if* you will be spending multiple days at each. It's basically like Elly said above: the daily commute gets tiring in either direction. Even with Shinkansen, unless if you are staying at a Shin-Osaka station hotel, it will still take you at least 30+ minutes traveling between the two once you include your initial trip to Shin-Osaka, including some walking time to/from your hotel.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe, Nara... & ??

i am going to osaka on march 2013 for 8 days 7 nights, i planned my trip 3 nights in kyoto and 4 nights in osaka.

its really hard to book budget hotel in kyoto though, mostly is above rm400 per night.