We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

Manila
Level Contributor
60 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

My wife and I plan to stay in a hotel near Namba. Which train line is the most convenient to take from here to Kyoto? And which station does it stop in Kyoto? We plan to also stay in a hotel that is near this station.

Thanks for your help.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,351 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

From Namba, there is direct access to Nara by Kintetsu, but not to Kyoto.

1) Keihan option: Osaka Metro Midosuji Line to Yodoyabashi. From Yodoyabashi, Keihan Limited Express (no ltd exp charge) to Gion Shijo. Ideal for visits to Kiyomizudera and other Higashiyama attractions.

2) JR option: Osaka Metro Midosuji Line to Umeda. From JR Osaka station, JR Shinkaisoku Rapid to JR Kyoto. Ideal for changes to bus and metro Karasuma Line inside Kyoto City. Good for going to Nijo Castle and Arashiyama (requires change to JR Sagano / San-in Line at JR Kyoto).

3) Hankyu option: Osaka Metro Midosuji Line to Umeda. From Hankyu Umeda station, Hankyu Ltd Exp (no ltd exp charge) to Karasuma or Kawaramachi. Ideal for visits to attractions in central Kyoto, such as Nishiki Market, as well as walks into Gion and Higashiyama. Good connection to Arashiyama bound train is offered at Katsura station.

All three are convenient and frequent trains are available. The prices not so different. JR is perhaps fastest, but carries passengers from Kobe often making you stand all the way; Keihan and Hankyu Ltd Exp trains depart from Osaka so there is always chance to get seats.

Manila
Level Contributor
60 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

Thanks Yobeekool.

Our original plan was KIX-Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka-KIX. Now I'm thinking if we should go directly to either Nara or Kyoto after arriving in KIX. Maybe KIX-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka-KIX would be better. We just need more info on which train lines to use on this route since we want to avoid transfers between train companies.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,351 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

Well, it's not a big deal changing trains actually, as most direction signs are written in two languages and are color coded. If you don't understand, just ask the station staff or people around you.

Yes, perhaps traveling KIX-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka-KIX is the most convenient. But are you going to spend a few days in each city?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
48,411 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

http://www.hyperdia.com/ for train routing options and fares.

Manila
Level Contributor
60 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

We plan to spend two nights in Kyoto, overnight in Nara, and two nights in Osaka for our short vacation.

Thanks Dave for the link.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
909 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

The JR Haruka service from Kansai airport to Kyoto is hard to beat for convenience and comfort.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
53,696 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

I suggest that you don't overnight in Nara. Nara can easily be visited as a day trip from Kyoto or Osaka. You can save yourself one night of switching hotels.

Manila
Level Contributor
60 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

Thanks KenCoolum and Sammyfloyd for your recommendations. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

Hi, This is the first time I go Japan with my husband, Ive bought air ticket from KL - Osaka (Kansai) - Tokyo (Haneda) - KL in Feb'13. Total 7 Days. In between Osaka & Tokyo where else I can go? what kind of transpotation is most convenient from one place to another?Can someone suggest to me a good holiday Itenary & which hotel to stay (2 or 3 star) too. Thanks

malaysia
Level Contributor
271 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which train line to use from Osaka to Kyoto

Hi Lazybird! I suggest you post a new thread to get more respond.