We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
74 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

My girlfriend and I are trying to see a baseball game while in Japan, and we really want to see Hanshin play the Giants at Koshien on July 16. However, the japanball web site claims the game is sold out already.

How hard and expensive will it be to scalp tickets outside the stadium on gameday? Or is there any other option? Reselling of tickets or anything like that?

Because of the All-Star break, our only other baseball alternative would be to change our travel plans (probably skip Himeji) and go to Kobe on July 15 to catch an Orix Buffaloes game instead. Much less exciting, and more stressful...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,163 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

Yahoo Japan auction listings for the 16/7 tickets: http://tinyurl.com/cmzuaek

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,321 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

Not sure if scalpers are still around, but back in my day dowdy women and tough guys used to hang around, each selling an infield designated seat for 20-50K yen. The rate decreased as the inning went further, and depended on whether or not the Tigers played well. I guess they are still there...

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
74 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

Thank you both. I tried out the Yahoo auction, which was very complicated when you don't read Japanese. I somehow got to bid for two tickets, but it doesn't seem likely that we'll win at 2500 yen per bleacher ticket with still 3 days remaining of the auction. And we're leaving in a few days, so we won't have that much time to overbid and handle shipping/payment at other auctions.

20-50K for an infield seat is too much. We'd be happy to sit in the bleachers, but unless they are expected to be much cheaper, we might just go for the Kobe/Buffaloes option. Appararently, Himeji isn't much to look at while wrapped in plastic and undergoing renovation, so we might prefer some Orix baseball instead of stopping by the castle. If anyone else has any other suggestion for Hanshin tickets, let us know.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,207 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

If you were to stay at a good hotel, you should have contacted the concierge in advance.

>>Appararently, Himeji isn't much to look at while wrapped in plastic and undergoing renovation,<<

Perhaps you might go and find out. A castle isn't just made of the main tower.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,321 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

I gather most everyone's sentiment goes in synch with yours. Unless you're a die-hard tigers fan and the game is crucial for the team, you won't like to pay that much. Hope the Orix Bluewave's game will be a good substitute for you. That said, I remember reading a post on this forum by OsakaRay, who is an expert on Osaka and thus then-DE for it; sorry I can't produce it in verbatim here but he might've said something to this effect: you can try your luck at the railroad station (Hanshin Koshien); you can holler like 'ticket please!' and some kind soul will appear and sell you one. Yes, often times it may look well-nigh impossible to ask for adjacent two seats from one person ... Yet when it starts drizzling, who knows if he/she won't relent?

<<20-50K for an infield seat is too much. We'd be happy to sit in the bleachers, but unless they are expected to be much cheaper, we might just go for the Kobe/Buffaloes option.>>

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

I bought my tickets for the same fixture last season through a travel agent many months in advance.

The stadium was absolutely packed out and the atmosphere amazing, by far the best I have ever experienced, on a par with Red Sox v Yankees.

There were many, many people milling around outside the stadium but scalpers were certainly not as obvious as in other countries but I saw many people exchanging cash for tickets.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,886 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

A good read for you:

planettokyo.com/news/…

8. Re: Scalping tickets for Hanshin vs Giants on July 16

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2013, 10:16