We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartphone Sim Card/Data

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Smartphone Sim Card/Data

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows of which company can supply me with a Sim Card/Data Pack for the next six months in Japan. I've been to a few and they all are asking for a two-year contract. I also have a US smartphone to pop the Sim card into or possibly and old Japanese Iphone but don't know if either will work in Japan... Thanks... any advise would be greatly appreciated... desperately need data outside my work/home...

Douglas

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,577 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smartphone Sim Card/Data

Did you do a search? Same question was asked 2 days ago. You need an unlocked phone, or one that is locked to NTT DOCOMO (you need to override the APN setting). There is no contract required. The company is B-mobile.

If you are spending 6 months in Japan, you should get around and ask your colleagues/employers/fellow students for advice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
109 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smartphone Sim Card/Data

Thanks for the help and great attitude about... sometimes I love the TA friendliness...

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smartphone Sim Card/Data

There is information about Japanese cell phones here, but I'm not sure how relevant it is your situation. As I understood it most phones from outside Japan won't work inside Japan, at least not without a lot of trouble. So you might need to buy a cheap phone over there.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2223.html

4. Re: Smartphone Sim Card/Data

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2014, 06:19