We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bullet Train

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Topic
Bullet Train

Hello, I was wondering what is the cheapest way to get from Osaka to Tokyo using the bullet train and how much does it cost. Thanks.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,402 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bullet Train

It depends on whether your itinerary warrants a JR Pass. If not, there really aren't cheap ways. There are some Shinkansen ticket discounters but as a foreign visitor, it's hard to decipher their offers (typically with restrictions on what trains you can ride). The discounts aren't the great anyway.

Japanican offers a Shinkansen + hotel package that saves money, but it has many restrictions as well including travel time frame and hotel choice.

www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/KVJT2OST_/…

Yokohama
Level Contributor
833 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bullet Train

besides JR pass, Puratto Kodama ticket is cheapest with restrictions.

nihonshock.com/2010/…

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bullet Train

In the post it stated that to buy the tickets I must buy it online and the tickets would be mailed to me? but I did some research and it stated that I could buy the tickets from the JTB. I'm abit confused.

Yokohama
Level Contributor
833 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bullet Train

Yes, you can buy "Puratto Kodama ticket" from the JTB but you need to buy it in advance. at least one day before your travel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,459 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bullet Train

Puratto Kodama means you will be riding the slowest shinkansen stopping at every single station along the way. It gets to be a bit of a drag sitting at a station while the faster trains whizz by.

To me unless you are really budget constrained, just buy a ticket on a Nozomi and enjoy the experience.

6. Re: Bullet Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 06:18