We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

Using JR West Sanyo 4day pass,

questions:

1. From Kansai airport to a hotel near Osaka station, can I use any of Airport Express Haruka or Kansai Airport Rapid Service?

It seems that Rapid Service has more stops but no transfer is needed up to Osaka station.

2. but If I use Airport express, should I make transfer at Tenoji or Shinosaka station?

3. Going to Kyoto from Osaka station, which route is better: thru shinosaka then shinkansen or JR Tokaido/ Sanyo main line?

4 can the said pass be used on all the above mentioned lines?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,900 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

1. yes

2. Shin-Osaka

3. JR West Pass is not valid for Shin-Osaka - Kyoto Shinkansen section as Tokaido Shinkansen(Tokyo-ShinOsaka) is run by JR Central. You must ride JR Tokaido main line.

4. yes

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,492 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

Why are you buying the Sanyo Area Pass? Are you going to make a long distance trip, i.e., to Hiroshima and back? If the answer is no, you'll lose a lot of money by buying the Sanyo Area pass.

If you're staying near Osaka, just take the Airport Rapid. No transfer needed.

From Osaka to Kyoto, take the Special Rapid.

With your itinerary, no pass is going to pay off, so just get the ICOCA card for convenience.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,236 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

If you are leaving from Kyoto to Kansai Airport at the end of your stay, then you can buy ICOCA & Haruka. On your inbound journey, you don't necessarily have to take the Haruka Express with the package. You can just take the Airport Rapid to Osaka station. On your return to KIX from Kyoto, you can then take Haruka Express. The combined cost will be slightly cheaper than other options.

westjr.co.jp/global/…

As Shibuyakko said, if you aren't going anywhere beyond Osaka, Tokyo, plus Nara and Kobe, you won't need any rail pass.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

The primary reason why I want to buy the JR West Sanyo 4 day pass is to use it on a day tour to Hiroshima. I also plan to do a day trip each to Kyoto, Nara and Kobe, then spend a few days in Osaka

My plan of use for the pass are:

Day1: Airport to a Osaka Station (staying at Hearton Hotel Nishi Umeda)

JR Kansai Airport Line or JR Haruka limited express train (1. Which is better? 2.ARe they using the same track?)

Day2: Osaka Station to Hiroshima

JR Tokaido / Sanyo Main Line to SHinosaka station; Shinkansen Nozomi to Hiroshima

back to hotel using the same line

Day 3: Osaka to Kyoto

JR Tokaido / Sanyo Main Line

Day 4: Osaka to Nara

JR Osaka Loop LIne to Shinimamiya Station, transfer to (Platform 2) JR Kansai Main Line to Nara

(3. Why is there another option in Google map, Osaka Station to Tennoji Station, stay on board as the train Continues as JR Kansai Main Line -- 4. no transfer needed?)

Back: Nara Station JR Kansai Main Line to Shinimamiya then transfer to JR Osaka Loop Line to Osaka Station)

I've been to Osaka before but I have never used a train on my own.

My reference for train line is largely Google Map, And I know that sometimes it does not provide the best route.

other questions

5. Does my plan make sense, should I buy/use a JR West Sanyo 4 day Pass?

6. Are there better route?

7. How do I identify the station or line, are there English markings?

8. What does "JR Tokaido / Sanyo Main Line" means? (I saw that there is also "JR Tokaido / Sanyo Shinkansen"?

Thanks to all (Nao H, Shibuyakko and Sammyfloyd) for replying and giving important information. It surely saves a lot of time researching and also build up confidence in using the train.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

care to comment on my post above (#4)?

My friends, who have different itinerary will be staying in Namba. They are asking me to stay in the same hotel with them (Best Western Fino Osaka Shinshibaishi). Should I?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,236 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

This is a personal decision for you to make. Only you know how much you like your friends!

>>>My friends, who have different itinerary will be staying in Namba. They are asking me to stay in the same hotel with them (Best Western Fino Osaka Shinshibaishi). Should I?

Train-wise, you seem to have got a lot of lines incorrect. Use Hyperdia (http://www.hyperdia.com) instead.

D1: Take Haruka Express to Tennoji and transfer to Yamatoji Line or JR Special Rapid Service. Haruka arrives Tennoji at platform 18, while Yamatoji Line uses platform 17 right across, and Special Rapid uses the same platform 18. This combination can be anything from 10-20 minutes (including the simple transfer) faster than JR Kansai Airport Rapid.

D2: The lines that serve Osaka and Shin-Osaka station route are JR Special Rapid and JR Kyoto Line.

D3: Take JR Special Rapid between Osaka and Kyoto, or you can head to Shin-Osaka to take Shinkansen.

D4: Yamatoji Line has direct service between Osaka to Nara

Your plans make sense for the Sanyo Area Pass.

All lines, stations, trains and displays are bilingual with English.

Some lines might run the same route using the same platform or tracks so at times, you might see combined names. Don't worry about them. Just follow the route that you have planned (provided that you have the right lines to start!).

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

8. Re: JR West Sanyo 4day pass.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 05:18