We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi driver changed the price on the meter

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi driver changed the price on the meter

My friend and I ended up at the wrong station for the express train to Kansai airport. Realizing that we would miss our flight unless we took a cab, we hailed a cab at Shinosaka station. The meter read about 18000 yen. The cab driver did not speak much English but managed to communicate it was his first time driving people to the airport. We actually got lost at the airport looking for terminal 2 and he had to pull over for directions. When we finally made it he started explaining the price to me. I didn't understand much but I got that he was explaining the cost of the toll roads etc. after all was said and done he pushed some buttons on the meter and the fare was REDUCED to a little less than 14000.

I am extremely curious about what happened. Did he give us a break because he got lost? If he did that is a lot too take off for maybe an extra 2 or 3 minutes of circling the airport. Or was there some discount for longer distances?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,446 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi driver changed the price on the meter

I have no idea, but count it as another pleasant experience. This site gave estimates in the 14000 to 18000 yen range: taxiautofare.com/jp/…loid

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,031 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi driver changed the price on the meter

A long distance or long hour taxi ride is often charged by a customerly set fee. For example, once from Tokyo to Narita airport was 20,000yen and the meter was not activated. My guss is that the fare money goes directly into the driver's pocket, not subject to the taxi co. commission or tax. Also, if you hire a taxi for a few hours for sightseeing, you negotiate the fare.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,365 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi driver changed the price on the meter

There is typically long distance discount that's shown on the exterior of the car. Depending on what car you got in:

初乗り640円で2000mまで、以後305m毎に80円加算 9000円以上 10%割引 (10% discount over 9000yen)

初乗り660円で2000mまで、以後273m毎に80円加算 5000円以上 50%割引 (50% discount over 5000yen)

You likely got the 2nd tariff, plus road toll.

Edited: 11 February 2014, 19:25
4. Re: Taxi driver changed the price on the meter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 06:19