We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going around Kyoto

Makati
14 posts
Save Topic
Going around Kyoto

Hi! I need your help for my itinerary for Kyoto. I will be there for a day trip from Osaka and would like to visit the following: Golden Pavilion, Fushimi Imari Shrine, Nishin Market, Higashiyama District, Gion. Where should I go first considering their locations.

Also, I will use JR Kyoto Station. From there, how do I get around different stations in Kyoto? Bus or subway? Is there a 1 day pass for this or cheaper if I buy individually?

Many thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going around Kyoto

There is a direct railway lines from Osaka to Fushimi Imari Shrine, Nishin Market, Higashiyama District, Gion. There is no point to use JR Kyoto station unless you are staying right near JR stations in Osaka.

Makati
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going around Kyoto

I have a Kansai Area pass that I want to take advantage of. My hotel is near a JR station in OsakaFrom JR Kyoto, how do I got around my preferred places in Kyoto? Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,436 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going around Kyoto

I suggest starting your trip at Fushimi Inari. You can take Keihan Limited Express from Yodoyabashi in Osaka and change to a sub-express at Tamabashi to reach Fushimi Inari. After Fushimi Inari, it's best to get Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion out of the way. Head to Kyoto station from nearby Inari (JR) station. From Kyoto, take JR Sagano Line to Emmachi station and change to bus 204 or 205 to Kinkakuji. The bus stop is located on Nishioji-dori. Take either bus 204 or 205 to Kinkakuji. The alternative is to take Karasuma subway line from Kyoto to Kitaoji, and then change to bus 101, 102, 204, or 205 to Kinkakuji. The bus ride from Kitaoji is shorter, while the train transfer is faster to JR Sagano Line within Kyoto station. It's your call.

Take the bus back to Kitaoji and change to subway Karasuma Line for Nishiki Market. For the rest of your day, you can walk, take the Keihan Line, or use buses to other destinations in Eastern Kyoto.

Rail passes don't pay off for traveling within Kyoto. You might save a little money using the Kyoto city bus pass which pays off by the third ride.

Kyoto city transport info, including bus map links:

city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

Makati
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going around Kyoto

Thank you for your response! If I dont use my JR Kansai Pass, is there any one day pass I can purchase going to Kyoto (and around Kyoto) that may be cheaper and more convenient so I can take the local Kyoto rail pass throughout the day?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going around Kyoto

1 Day JR Kansai Pass is 2000yen. 1 day return trip pass between Osaka and Gion/Pontocho area is 700yen.

rail.hankyu.co.jp/en/hankyu_tourist_pass.html

All depends on the location of your hotel.

Makati
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going around Kyoto

Hi Nao, preferred hotel is Osaka Grande Vista: 5-15 Souemoncho, Chuo Ward, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture 542-0084, Japan. Please let me know what you recommend - JR or Hankyu Rail?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,436 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going around Kyoto

Your hotel is located closest to Namba station. If you follow my proposed itinerary, walk to Namba, take Midosuji subway line to Yodoyabashi and take Keihan Line to Fushimi Inari. There are no rail passes that save you money in this case. Note that even if you get the Hankyu Pass, for just traveling between Osaka and Kyoto, savings will be minimal.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,314 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Going around Kyoto

Sammy's route looks the best well-organized.

If you don't mind dropping Fushimi Inari and adding other destination on Hankyu Line(eg, Arashiyama), you should consider Hankyu Pass.

Makati
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going around Kyoto

Thank you guys, very helpful. Since I plan to go to Rinku Outlet, is getting a KANSAI THRU PASS worth considering?

10. Re: Going around Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 05:20