We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Topic
Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

Hi all,

I will be reaching Osaka on 30/3 4pm. Going to Kyoto from 2/4 till 6/4. On 6/4, I where I will be catching a train back to Kansai Airport for my departure.

Osaka plan to include:

check in near Nishikujo Station (walk around, dinner)

Nanba grand Kagetsu (shopping/supper)

Osaka castle (Cherry blossom)

四天王寺 (S.) Temple

Sumiyoshi Taisha

National Bunraku theatre

Hozenji Yokocho Alley + Temple

Dotomburi, namba, Shinsaibashi,(dinner and nightlife)

Kuromon Ichiba (breakfast)

Osaka Mint Bureau (Cherry blossom)

Tenmangu (local shrine)

Tenjimbashisuji (lunch, shopping)

Osaka museum of living (Kimono)

Tenjimbashisuji (lunch, shopping)

umeda sky garden (sunset and night scene)

Tsurumi Ryokuchi Park

Spa world

Depart for Kyoto

My question is

1. Which pass is better for my itinerary?

Kansai West area pass? OR Kansai Wide area pass? OR Haruka and ICOCA pass?

Osaka visitor's ticket OR Osaka unlimited pass OR Kansai thru pass OR Hankyu Tourist Pass?

2. Is my itinerary doable? Will it be too tired and packed or to much time in between?

My husband love to take pictures so I gave us more time to explore each site.

3. Tenjimbashisuji (open for lunch or only open late afternoon around tea time?)

4. What time is the transportation in Osaka start operating and close everyday? (subway and trains)?

5. Osaka Mint bureau. May I know whether can I view Cherry blossom even when the gate to the cherry trees is not open? As the time of my visit did not match their gate opening week :(

thanks a lot :)

HK Club Q International Party Bar
Bars & Clubs, Dance Clubs & Discos, Karaoke Bars
The Drunken Clam
Karaoke Bars, Bars & Clubs
Drink Osaka
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours, Walking Tours
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

If you are only visiting Osaka and Kyoto (as well as perhaps Nara), Haruka and ICOCA deal might work for you. Kansai Thru Pass can be effective if you plan carefully know how to use it with the sites and lines. Passes offered by JR West includes mid-long range travel which you won't be doing if you restrict to short range travel within the Kansai Region.

Some random notes:

1. Namba Grand Kagetsu is just a comedy theater in Japanese language (Osakan dialect). It is popular among the locals but not something interesting for foreigners. The area has its own charms though.

2. Kuromon Market, to my knowledge, is not the sort of "market" you might imagine. I don't think there is breakfast opportunity there.

3. Shi-tennoji Temple is okay but it's a modern reconstruct with not much to see for tourists. If you have time, do visit Horyuji Temple in Ikarugacho between Nara City and Osaka by JR train, which is a true world class heritage. Nara City has Todaiji Temple, another UNESCO WH site.

4. Tenjinbashi-suji arcade has a nostalgic slow life charm. If you are interested, go around noon. But Shinsaibashi arcade in Osaka and Nishiki Market / Teramachi arcade in Kyoto should be more interesting to tourists.

5. Sumiyoshi Taisha is not bad, but again, it's a sort of minor place known among locals. With that time, I would recommend seeing Nara sites, or Mt Yoshino (temple/shrines known as Japan's No.1 Sakura spot), or less visited sites around Kyoto (like Hieizan Enryakuji, Uji, Takao Jingoji, Kurama, Ohara, etc etc). You may explore Fushimi Inari and Fushimi old sake town (can couple it with Uji).

6. In Osaka, Namba, Hozenji Yokocho, Dotombori, Osaka Castle Park, Tsuruhashi Korean Town, Umeda's redevelopment area, Tsutenkaku retro town, Abeno Harukas tower plus Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan. These are worth seeing and recommended to tourists.

7. Osaka Mint Bureau has late bloomers so it will be opened for public late (I think it has a museum of coins and notes you can check, if I'm not mistaken). I think you'd be "full up" with sakuras in Osaka Castle Park and around Dojima River.

8. For Sakuras, go to Kyoto's Heian Shrine, the Incline, Nijo Castle, Hirano Shrine, and Mt Yoshino in Nara Prefecture (No.1 spot in Japan).

9. Trains around the Kansai urban area stop around midnight or just shortly before that; it depends on lines.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 09:25
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,618 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

If you wanna know the reason what to buy, check http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Osaka Mint Schedule

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

Two top historical heritages in Nara Prefecture, Japan (separate UNESCO WH):

1. Horyuji Temple (in Ikarugacho, the oldest wooden buildings in the world and perhaps the largest monastery complex in Japan): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C5%8Dry%C5%AB-ji

2. Todaiji Temple (in Nara City, the largest wooden structure in the world): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todaiji_Temple

Mt Yoshino is a sort of rival to Koyasan.

Many Japanese if not most would agree that it is the No.1 spot for cherry blossoms in Japan. Write a poem and add a word Yoshino then people would imagine the thousands of trees blossoming- that sort of place.

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

Thanks all for the reply

According to Yoobekool,

If I will b travelling from Osaka to Nara on day 2 and Osaka to Kobe on day 3, then the 3 days west area pass will be more beneficial? Or just stick to ICOCA for the whole of my trip?

When I take a look at the west area pass, it covers almost all the stations around Osaka and permits me to travel from Airport to Osaka then to kyoto for 6000yen.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

Life is not zero and one or black and white. It all depends.

A) From JR Osaka to JR Nara by JR train: 780 yen.

From Osaka Namba to Kintetsu Nara by Kintetsu train: 540 yen.

B) From JR Osaka to JR Sannomiya by JR train: 390 yen.

From Hanshin Umeda to Hanshin Sannomiya by Hanshin train: 310 yen.

From Hankyu Umeda to Hankyu Sannomiya by Hankyu train: 310 yen.

From Osaka Namba to Hanshin Sannomiya by Hanshin train: 400 yen.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 10:49
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

Fares are subject to change after April 1, 2014, because of increased consumption tax (5% to 8%).

Kintetsu operates a faster and frequent Rapid/Express service between Osaka's southern central area (Namba) and Nara city center; Hankyu and Hanshin operates frequent Ltd Exp services (free of Ltd Exp surcharge) between Osaka's northern central area (Umeda) and Kobe (Sannomiya is the main terminal), but JR Rapid can be faster although slightly more expensive. As you probably don't gain much if any by buying the 3 days JR West Kansai Area pass, you might as well just go by the Haruka & ICOCA deal and use whichever company and line that best suits you.

JR developed in the days of long distance steam locomotives and they had to build stations away from city center. Private railways developed as electric commuter shuttle trains and built especially to beat the Japan National Railway by frequent and faster service. With privatization, the competition between JR and private railway companies have been continuing. There is no right answer to which is best.

Edited: 22 March 2014, 10:59
7. Re: Osaka-Kyoto transportation pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2015, 07:31
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor