We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Topic
Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

Its my 1st time traveling to Japan and I'm staying at the Toyoko-inn Osaka Namba (Naniwa Ward, Motomachi, 2 Chome−8−7) and will be arriving at the Kansai Airport at 9pm on a Sat night. I have purchased a JR pass and hope to use it to its max capacity.

Is the JR Hanwa Line still running late at night? Am I correct that I can take the JR Hanwa Line and then switch to Midosuji Line at the Tennoji Station and then get out at the Nanba station? Is the Midosuji Line connected to the JR line internally so that I don't have to get out to the street and get back in when I'm making a transfer?

Also, I'm staying in Osaka for 10 days. Is it worth while to purchase a pass for the private subways/railway? I'll be going to Kyoto and Kobe and I know I can use the JR pass. But for traveling locally would it be cheaper to get a pass for the local subway lines?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

kansai-airport.or.jp/en/…jr_time.html

Note you will lose much money if you buy JR Pass but visit Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto only.

https:/…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,209 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

Is that a JR nattionwide pass you are talking about (and 7 or 14 days?) or one of the regional passes? Unless you are doing some serious long distance rail travel no point in buying a nationwide pass.

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
12 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

Yeah, I agree with MapleG....Unless you're going to travel around A LOT, it's not really worth it. I'm in Osaka now and only rode the rail once from Kansai Airport. I took the Nankai line from Kansai all the way down to Namba (last stop). It was only around 9 bucks... I say buy your tickets separately because there's so much to see rather then spending too much time on the rail.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,445 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

You will indeed lose a lot of money with a 7-day JR Pass. If the places you listed are the only ones you intend to visit, return the pass to the issuer (but you will be charged a handling fee).

The best way to get to Toyoko Inn is to take Nankai airport trains to Namba station. The commuter style Airport Express costs 920 Yen and takes under 50 minutes. The nicer Rapit train (reserved seats, luggage racks, 10 minutes faster) costs 1,430 Yen but you can get a discounted ticket for 1,130 Yen.

…transer.com/top/ticket/railway/tokuwari.html

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

Thanks for all the info! The reason why I'm planning to get a JR pass is because I'm going to Tokyo afterwards. That's why I was hoping that I can also use the JP pass for my to and back airport travel.

So for subways other than the JR, it's better to just do pay as you go?

Many thanks.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,561 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

60 million cards have already issuded by 2013. I think this is more than the population of Canada.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,445 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

If you will be using a JR Pass, the best way to get to Namba is to take Haruka Express to Tennoji and change to JR Yamatoji Line to JR Namba station. The transfer at Tennoji is as easy as it can get as you just walk from right across from platform 18 to 17. The last two Haruka trains depart at 9:24pm and then 10:16pm. If you happen to get to the platform between trains, you can catch JR Kansai Airport Rapid Service and do the same transfer at Tennoji.

JR Namba station is not the same as Nankai Namba although they are connected via an underground arcade. JR Namba is slightly further away but still within walking distance to Toyoko Inn.

http://goo.gl/maps/fPed3

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

Cool! Thanks Nao H. Looks like these cards are virtually the same but sold by different companies? Or is there some major differences among them? In 10 days I will be traveling between and withing Osaka, Kobe, Kyoto, and Nara. So say if I get the Icoca Card I'm pretty safe to get around, in addition to my JR pass?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,445 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

Assuming you will return to Osaka to fly out, then the cards all function the same way.

If not, then once you leave JR West, you won't be able to return ICOCA to get the card's deposit and unused credit back.

Use ICOCA on non-JR train operators (subways and private rail).

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kansai Airport to hotel in Numba

Thanks Sammyfloyd for the info. Very helpful. I will be flying out from Tokyo. I guess I can just keep the card as souvenir. =D