We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

Hi - very grateful if a kind soul would confirm this because I was wondering if I should get a rail pass but am told : 1. Train from Osaka to Kyoto , runs every 15 min, no need to book, cost about 800 Yen, journey time 30 min

2. Train from Kyoto to Nara - runs frequently, no need to book, cost about 710 yen, journey time 45 min

3. Train from Nara to Osaka, runs frequently, no need to book, cost about 800 yen, journey time 50 min.

Thank you ever so much !

If the above is true, should I just turn up at train station and buy tickets on the spot ?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

They are true. EZ-link cards in Japan http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,404 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

The exact fare and time depends on what stations and train lines you use as you have multiple options.

Use Japan Guide's access page for more info. For example, for Kyoto (change the dropbox to the city you need):

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
787 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

Yes the trains between the places you mentioned run very frequently. Unless you are in a hurry & must get to a particular place at a particular time, there is no need to pre-book tickets. To check train schedule, just go to http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

There are about 5-6 major train terminals in Osaka (in Kyoto there are about 3, Nara 2), used by rivaling railway companies. Keihan Railway connects Osaka's central Yodoyabashi and Nakanoshima area with Kyoto's Higashiyama area. Hankyu Railway connects Osaka's busy northern core Umeda with Kyoto's central Shijo-Karasuma and Kawaramachi areas (a short walk away from Gion, too). JR West operates Shinkaisoku Rapid between JR Osaka Station in Umeda area and JR Kyoto Station (transport and shopping hub) in southern Kyoto City. Inside Osaka and Kyoto there are dozens of stations besides those terminals. Kintetsu is a winner to JR in terms of frequency and speed between Osaka-Nara and Kyoto-Nara, but with JR you can sit back and enjoy the scenery of the less developed areas of the Kansai urban region.

Fare depends on routes taken, but yes the fares cited are not off the mark, if subway fare to Umeda or Yodoyabashi or Namba are added.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

There are Keihan Limited Express trains leaving from Osaka Yodoyabashi for Kyoto's Gion Shijo, Sanjo, and Demachiyanagi every 10 minutes during daytime. Hankyu Ltd Exp trains leave also every 10 minutes from Hankyu Umeda Terminal for Kyoto's Kawaramachi. JR Shinkaisoku Special Rapid service runs every 15 minutes between JR Osaka and JR Kyoto. Between Osaka/Kyoto and Nara, the Kintetsu trains are only slightly less frequent (JR don't run that frequently but still there are trains every 15-20 minutes or so).

Edited: 23 August 2014, 10:36
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
43 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

Wow...thank you everyone. Ok...I have no idea which station I should book from but at least I know I can settle that when I reach Osaka. I shall carry all your suggestions with me just in case :)

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,824 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

You don't book trains to go on a MRT in Singapore; similar thing can be said about trains between Osaka-Kyoto-Nara.

8. Re: Question on train frequency and cost Osaka-Kyoto-Nara-Osaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:17