We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air asia check in times

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Air asia check in times

Hi,

Just wondering for those who have flown with Air asia to and from the Gold Coast,

Approximatly how long does it take to check in? They open 4 hours prior, if the flight is full will we need all of the 4 hours?

I would love to hear about other peoples experiences?

We only have 3hrs between flights to check in!!!!!!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air asia check in times

Sorry I have another question because now im all confused!

I just change our passport detail through the 1800 number (thankyou to all of you for helping) and received my updated itinerary, and have noticed the check in times have changed.

Now its only 3hrs before the flight they open and close 60 mins before. For AAX and for AA they open 2hrs before and close 45!

If anyone has flown can you please let me know, we are catching an early morning flight and would love if we could have an extra hours sleep!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air asia check in times

I have not taken the AAX flight, but let me share with you my experience with AA.

I was in Bangkok flying back to KL. I was early at the airport (we hand buffered for the bangkok traffic jams but there weren't any so we arrive early). There was a rather long queue for our flight, and checkin counter doesn't even open for like 40 mins later.

We asked the person there whether we should just stand in line and wait (since the line won't move for 40 mins until they open the check-in counter), or come back later.

His reply was, you could stand here and wait 40mins for the booth to open, or you can come back in an hour and join a much longer queue. We decided to keep our place in the line and took turns to take a break from queuing.

So better go early...

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air asia check in times

Thanks for that, it has shed a little more light on the flight.

Do they generally get through everyone, like if your there 3 hrs before the flight when check in opens (even if you are at the end) do they check people in fast and generally get everyone on the flight?

I have no experience flying budget airlines and have booked my whole holdiday with them so I am just trying to work out how everything works so I dont miss a flight!

Is there one line per flight? Or do all air asia customers line up together?

Any feedback at all would be great - It all helps!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air asia check in times

Well I think as long as you are in the line you are fine.

They don't check in everyone fast. Due to it being budget, they tend to have less counters, and the flights tend to be a lot fuller, so more people in the looong queues.

Budget airlines also tend to have bad on time performance, many instances when there is a problem with a plane, they will actually make you wait while they fix it and continue the flight, rather than replace an aircraft. If that causes the crew to exceed the maximum number of flight hours they are allowed, the flight will generally be delayed until the crew rests and can resume the flight. I have seldom heard replacement crews being called in. This will result in you waiting at the airport overnight. Sometimes you get lucky you are offered a hotel, many times not. Many stories like this you can find on the internet on Tiger Airways and sometimes Airasia. Cancellations are also happen.

The way to be prepared for this is -

#1 Have buffers between flights, in case of delay.

#2 Buy travel insurance that covers you for extended delays, meaning they will pay for your overnight hotel, food, and also other possible losses like missed prepaid concerts...etc

#3 Have an open mind as the fares are really cheap so expectations need to be toned down.

#4 Avoid changes in flight plans and watch the luggage weight restrictions. They make money from these.

Others can give your further advice, but I think these are probably the worse stuff..

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,213 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air asia check in times

Hun

>>>Now its only 3hrs before the flight they open and close 60 mins before. For AAX and for AA they open 2hrs before and close 45!

We observed at LCCT KL,alway the case.

The check in counter personnels also double up as air steward or stewardess for that flight.

The moment the counters is closed no way you can check it at any counter >>No second chance for late comer.

So better late than sorry

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air asia check in times

Hi

Depends on where your flights go to. I have flown with them to many Asian cities, they are usually on time and early arrival is very common (not good if someone picking you up is still not due to arrive yet, haha) except busy airports like Bangkok and Borneo and I heard, some Indonesia cities(I have only been to Bali) where most foreign workers use to return home.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air asia check in times

Thanks guys,

I am trying to have an open mind and also find out as much info before I fly as I can. I will definatly look at our travel insurance to see what we are covered for.

My flights are from KL to Phuket return, so its a smaller airport in Phuket so I am hoping we leave on time :) The flight there just means lost holiday time and im ok with that!

So I guess just be at the airport as early as I can for all of my flights and keep an eye on the departure times of my flights!

Thanks guys for all of your help.

I will let everyone know how i went when i get back.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air asia check in times

Hi Hunee, you will have no problems at Phuket air port it is a full international one, very quick check in. Kl is slow and very poor seating while you wait, never enough seats before check in, get there at least 3 hours before flight time, it is a long way from city.

Hervey

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air asia check in times

Thanks Harvey,

I will be there early when we leave for Phuket but our flight from HKT to KUL leaves at 16.10 and gets in at 18.15 and then checkin opens for Air Asia at 6.40pm.

I guess I was just worried that by being in the line for the 3 hrs that they still wouldnt check us in.

Im hoping that by opening 3hrs before checkin that they have allowed enough time to check everyone in that is in line.

Is that right or is there still a possibility I could miss it, even if I am in the line for the WHOLE 3 HRS?

I know I am being paraniod but I always seem to fret about these things

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air asia check in times

As long as you are in the CORRECT line I think you should have no problem.