We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more shopping queries

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Queensland
Level Contributor
525 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
more shopping queries

are the prices in the Malls fixed price or do you still barter a bit.

In regards to the Markets, how much do you drop from the 1st offer ie. offer 100 come back with counter offer of 50 or is it less.

Is there a pricing guide for KL shopping available to show what the average price for t shirts in markets etc. and does kl have copy lables like Bali and Bangkok

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
69 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more shopping queries

Hi, the department stores and stores ( mostly) except the smaller boutique owned ones are fixed price. However, within the malls you might see kiosks along the walkways which you may need to bargain.

I'm not sure about the availability of price guide but major bargaining is needed when you go to night markets like in chinatown.

As for copy labels, yes, there are especially in the markets..

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
365 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more shopping queries

As mentioned above; if you are shopping in malls like Pavilion, KLCC, 1Utama, Midvalley, etc. etc. prices are tagged and there is no bargaining.

In a place like Sungei Wang/BB Plaza or Low Yat, it is possible to bargain in some shops, but not all.

Markets like Petaling Street, it is a free for all, bring your best poker face.

There is no pricing guide for the markets, whatever you pay is whatever the price you get suckered into paying. Much more selection of copy labels than what I've experienced in Bangkok or Bali, but much less than Shanghai.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more shopping queries

I was in KL in January. Please be warned that the quality of the bags etc is really bad. Not like HOng Kong. I was really shocked and more so after I was away from all the hype. The t shirts and belts are great!! Don't get fooled by the cigarette lighter under the bags saying they are real leather as most are not. Just one example of my bargining. A nice guy was pestering me to buy a bag I didn't really want. He quoted 300 ringgit ($100au) because I didn't really want it I thought I would annoy him and offer him 70 ringgits ( yes less than a third) i started walking away and guess what, I got 2 for my friends for 120 ringgits. Imagine if I had only cut my price by 50%!!! My advise.... don't be desperate, there are so many shops with the same thing, have fun going too low first, and if they let you walk away, then you know you are close to their price. If they say ok ok straight away, you know you are getting ripped off, as I said the bags are really only worth that price (around $30) I never paid any more than that, Also, it was much cheaper during the day but not as much stock there I hardly needed to bargin, they started very low to start with. Have fun with them they enjoy it too!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more shopping queries

All these fakes that many people rave about in BKK or Bali or KL are really only made in China, while I suspect there maybe some Hong Kong cartels controlling the trade. And there're different grades of fakes as well, some "good ones" can really last.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: more shopping queries

That is so true! I am sure they are coming from China as well, but not the quality that is in China as my friend and i bought the same bag, one from KL and one from China and hers for the same price is a great copy. For some reason they are sending different quality to KL. My bags have actually "lasted" it is just that they look a bit tooo fake. But the markets are fun even so and not to be taken too seriously, Just enjoy the experience.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more shopping queries

We have had fantastic quality T shirt such as Billabong and Quick silver from China Town markets, in the past few years. We stock up on every trip through for our kids and they out grow them before they out wear them? And they get handed down to other family members.

Our rule of thumb is usually half the price that they are offering or ask other tourist what they are paying and work it out from there, in Aust at places like Vic Markets and Paddy Markets, think what price you would be paying and work on that!

7. Re: more shopping queries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 09:21