We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KL to Singapore to Bali

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
KL to Singapore to Bali

Can anyone advise on the best way to get from Kl to Singapore? Is there a high speed train conection? Is it possible to take several suitcases on to the train?

Secondly, what is the best/cheapest way to get from Singapore to Bali? Is there a ferry service? (I know that would not be the easisest but romantic none the less!)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

No high-speed train. Executive "luxury" buses take 5 hours door-to-door: google Aeroline. Low cost airlines ... google AirAsia; Tiger Airlines; Jetstar ... you're allowed 15kg checked in baggage, anything over that weight you pay per kg (strictly enforced). Full-service airlines (they offer you coffee or tea) Malaysia Airlines or Singapore Airlines.

Singapore/Bali ... you HAVE to fly ... 3 1/2 hours. Again google low cost airlines or Singapore Airlines. No boats/ferries for that 2,500km journey. You could take a cruise but I don't think those liners go to Bali from SG.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

Can I book the low cost airlines from the Uk?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

I would imagine so. As long as you use a credit card and inform the bank accordingly. Just remember if you fly low cost, you do have to keep to a maximum of 15kg/bag/person ... excess baggage's expensive.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

Where are you planning to go?

Is it LHR - KUL - SIN - DPS (Bali) with a few nights in Singaporea and your journey ends in Bali or is it -

LHR - KUL - SIN - DPS - KUL - LHR ?? When you need to get back to KL for a flight back to the UK?

If you have you London - KUL flights booked, it might make sense to book another ticket for the KUL - SIN - DPS journey.

Singapore Airlines has the whole journey with stopover in Singapore for RM 1000 inclusive taxes.

No point taking several suitcases on the train or bus since you have to lug it up and down immigrations in Singapore. Take a flight; its cheap and fast.

JetStar Asia (www.jetstarasia.com), Singapore Airlines (www.singaporeair.com) and Lion Air (no recommended at all!!) flies SIN - DPS.

Indonesia
Level Contributor
220 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

I flew with jetstar and airasia before, and i would recommend jetstar for the following :

1. Baggage allowance jetstar = 20 kilos free checked baggage

airasia = 0 kilos free checked baggage

2. jetstar flight scheduele is more permanent than air asia. Air asia would make you think that 80/90% of their flight is on time, but that's because they change you flight scheduele as they god damn pleases (mine got changed to 2 days after the time and date i confirmed and paid the booking, so it screw up my whole iteniary)

3. make no sense to pay SQ fares for an hour or so flight, better than going by train (overnight, 8 hours i think), buses is 5or so hour.

Going to bali there is no ferry, because its quite faraway, there is a ferry running between singapore and Batam though. but nothing to see or do in batam. you could catch a flight for bali from batam, but make no economical sense since you're not indonesian (we have to pay 1.000.000 rupiah/approx $110 but only 500.000 from batam to leave our beloved country on vacation ;P ) And the ferry is definetly not romantic :).

So fly.

And enjoy romance in bali (recommend ubud or nusa dua for romantic setting, kuta is more of night scene/bars/pubs)

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
713 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

KUL-DPS return on SQ with a "stopover" in SIN for MYR1,000 (all inclusive) sounds too good to be true. Very few SQ fares ex-KUL allow free "stopover" in SIN let alone a lower category one. Even if the cheap fare allows the "stopover", the stopover itself will trigger an additional sector for fuel surcharge etc which makes the MYR1,000 fare even more impossible to achieve ....

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

I did not say return; I said KUL-SIN-DPS; since Billy has yet to tell us where he intends to fly to/from.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

Ok, having looked at the options, adding Singapore to KL is going to be way too much of a pain. So if I may ask another question, which is the better place for 3 nights of site seeing and good eating before heading for the beaches of bali for 10 nights? KL or Singapore?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
365 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

KL is Billy.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KL to Singapore to Bali

Ahh, the great Singapore or KL debate...

Billy, both are fine.

Singapore is more organized,better managed. For someone when travelling requires everything to work like clockwork, to the degree of being mechanical or clinical. This type of person would plan everything to the detail, not willing to risk anything to chance.

KL is a bit more chaotic. A bit more unexpected. It is with this that some people find it colorful and enjoyable. This would be the person that does a little bit of planning, and letting to city offer its own surprises and takes it with a laugh.

KL is also cheaper than Singapore for accomodation and other expenses.

Its really your choice. Depending what sort of a traveller are you.