We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

Traveling to KL first weekend of September. As the date draws nearer, the excitement of my friends gear up as well. After seeing a lot of "shopping tips and guides" from various blogs and websites, they ask me one big question...

With only two days to sample KL's sights and shopping, "which among the many malls in Bukit Bintang should we go to if we have to choose only 2?"

Any suggestions?

Malaysia
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

For computer and mobile related stuff then you should visit Low Yatt Plaza. But I don't think you would like to shop for those things in M'sia.

Sungai Wang Plaza is a low cost shopping paradise. Many cheap stuff there. Times Square is also a good place to shop around. Pavillion is of higher class and standard. You don't need 2 days shopping at Bukit Bintang. Maybe one more day you should visit KLCC or Mid Valley. That's just my opinion.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,094 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

HI

Your big quesions to your fiends has to be, what do you want to shop for and do you want to see any sights?

Knowing what you are shopping for will usually select a mall.

But, if I only had to pick 2 malls to walk round, it would be my 2 favorites, Pavillion and Sungai Wang/BB Plaza. But as the previous poster says, you don't need 2 days to 'do' all the malls, as unless you go in each shop (which I doubt you will) you will walk round each mall quickly.

StarHill Gallery is worth walking round for the designer stuff. Lot10 and the rest are more complact. Times Square is worth an hour or so.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

Actually...

It will be my second time in KL and actually I enjoyed the Pavilion mall a lot! Aside from that, I only went to KLCC and souvenir shopping in Petaling. Wasnt able to go through Bintang Walk (and now I dont know if its a must) and was turned off with some buildings I went to. Though Im not much of a shopping freak, but my friends are. So I'm not sure aside from the Pavilion or KLCC, which other mall should I bring them to. My point is I don't want to waste time going in and out of buildings in Bukit Bintang which are run down malls or where a lot of stores have closed already. I remember the last time from the Pavillion, I crossed the street and because of a sudden downpour, I rushed to the nearest building which has a Planet Hollywood, an EDC shop on the other end... the place inside was old and rundown. I didnt venture any further.

My friends enjoy shopping for clothes and shoes of "local" designers. Was telling them about Salt and Padini (which is like what Bench is to the Philippines, or Giordano and Bossini is to Hong Kong). Very much interested with local Malaysian brands of casual wear. Not much into imported designer stuff or pirated rip offs. Also want to look at souvenirs, novelty items, and food stuff to bring home as gifts.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

I suggest you try going to midvalley then. Very big mall. The Garden is a new mall and connected directly to the midvalley mall. Many food to eat there too, japanese, thai, veitnamese, etc. Hope you have fun there.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

Hi, I think you meant Seed and Padini , which are our local brands.

These are

1. East India Co. (mostly located within Metrojaya), British India, Somerset Bay. -Colonial Style, khakis, flowing flower print dresses etc.

2. Padini, Seed, Vincci - They're under the same co., in certain malls, you might find them housed under the same roof called concept store. Contemporary, affordable wears and shoes (Vincci is only women shoes).

3. Salabianca & Philisophy Men- Same co., Salabianca does pretty dresses, the other one does men's wear for suited for the 20s crowd.

4. Local designers like Melinda Looi,Sonny San, Key Ng, Bernard Chandran, and local boy made good in New York, Zang Toi all have shops in and around KL.

Definitely give Midvalley a shot, after you've done the Bukit Bintang.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

With two replies regarding Mid Valley, then will do! How much is a taxi ride from KLCC to Mid Valley?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

Never knew that Philosophy is a Malaysian brand! Oh my friends will be happy with Salabianca.

Thanks all!

queensland
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

The Sungai Wang Plaza is a must do runs int another plaza can't remember the name you only know its a different plaza as floor tiles are different. Could spend hours here, sports shop and shoe shop very cheap everything cheap. Go to China town markets first night the best shopping I've ever done. Let me know if you need prices on anything. You also can walk to Beraja Time Square, it has the theme park in it. Very cheap shopping from quicksilver to Ralph Lauren also a must. Have fun!

Kerry

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

just got back from KL, Mid Valley not bad similar to Lot 10 just bigger ,caught train from lower floor suria shopping mall to Bansar station-bus to mid valley allup about 6rgt/person taxi back to Traders hotel-15rgt,taxi fare depends on time of day-peak hour a bit more

Russ

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which among the malls in Bukit Bintang?

Perhaps you can get a better answer from a fellow tourist on the taxi fare from KLCC to MV. I haven't taken a KL taxi for as long as I can remember. It can be difficult to get a taxi back to KLCC as well.

Midvalley Megamall is mid-range mall, with the new Gardens next door alot more upscale. It has two anchor tenants, Isetan and Robinson's. I got a good deal at Isetan, when I bought a branded double-ply cotton shirt for ~RM50+ (originally RM200+) during the Mega Sales, came with matching cufflinks as well. Though the Mega Sales will be over tomorrow, but I think you'll still find some bargains there. They're really marked down to clear stock. Don't think I could get a decent single-ply cotton shirt for that price on a normal day, so I am happy as a clam.