We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Topic
Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

Hi,

Hubby and I are staying in KL and want to hire a driver to visit Batu Caves and then on to the Fireflies before returning to KL. How long should we allow for this trip, any recommendations for a good driver and approx. how much should we expect to pay?

Appreciate any advice! Thanks

Odense, Denmark
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

i´ll like to do the same trip.

does anyone know?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,563 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

The typical "local" rate for a public taxi is about RM25 an hour for the small red/white taxi's and about RM 40 for the larger 2-liter variants (thats before the fuel price increase).

Factor in distance and "tourist" surcharges and you have a approx rate.

The journey to Batu caves is about 40mins to get there under normal traffic. It will take approx 90mins to get to the fireflies.

It would likely be a half day trip starting from after lunch (if you want to lump the whole thing in one day). I have not been to Batu caves and I cannot advise how it goes in the afternoon.

You should leave for Kuala Selangor town at about 4pm (to see the town) and then have seafood dinner by the riverside before proceeding to see the fireflies when its dark.

You will likely reach KL at about 10pm. So its probably 1pm-10pm, approx 9-10 hours.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

Thanks Maic, from other searches I thought 250myr was going rate for 8-10hours (there's only 2 of us so smaller car would be fine).

I've had one driver contact me and offer 420 for 8 hours, which seems steep. Usually the drivers you pre-book via the web charge a premium for that, so I guess I'm better off negotiating with someone when I'm over there.

If anyone does know a good driver who'd charge the 250myr I'd appreciate their details......thanks!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

Hey TMBHL on the go, l think you are best to wait ntil you get there. We organised a tour to the Fire Flies and had it all pre-booked before we left Oz, but our hotel doorman (Swiss Inn) could've organised us something for about the same price. You won't have any poblems finding someone to take you!!!

Make sure you go to Bukit Melawati, which is as someone has suggested part of the town, there are some great monkeys to feed, so also take some fruit, they are clean and tame! Have dinner in a seafood restaurant and then on to the Fire flies, well worth the trouble.

Enjoy.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

Thanks Ann, will definitely do the seafood dinner, it sounds great. I've seen people refer to Pasir Penambang and Bukit Melawati as the place to go to eat. Are they one and the same or different areas?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

Bukit Melawati is the hill in the town that has an old fort and look out on it, you can see over the town and fishing village, there are'nt any restaurants, so maybe PP is the place where the restauants are?

7. Re: Batu Caves & Fireflies - cost & driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 05:27