We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating crabs!

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Eating crabs!

Hi

I've just been to Hakka restaurant in KL and tried their black pepper crab. It was good, costs RM75/kg but I'd like to try other places.

Any other places in KL preferably cheaper?

Thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating crabs!

Live Crab costs about RM20+ - RM50 per kilo excluding cook charges. So about RM75 is fair depending on what crab they give you.

For cheaper crabs normally I will go to a neighbourhood restaurant. Not sure whats available in your area.

Maybe the open air or smaller restaurants along Jalan Imbi will be able to do crabs cheaper. If adventurous, can also try those in the Petaling Street area or Jalan Pudu.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating crabs!

You've just picked the favourite topic for most malysians: food. I dont usually eat crabs in KL for the simple reason that it seems to cost more compared to the residential areas in PJ. here are a few seafood restaurants that have crabs on their menu. they should all be cheaper than hakka restaurant but i'd suggest you confirm the price before ordering as some may take advantage of foreigners.

Most of the restaurants listed are not easily accessible via public transportation save kingcrab which is directly opposite the Kelana Jaya LRT station. Google the rest for more details or reviews. bon appétit mate.

fatty crab - taman megah

kingcrab - ss25

lala chong - terminal 3

greenview - section 19

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating crabs!

I would suggest few places below with reasonable price

-Tak Fook Restaurant at Sri Damansara, KL for their butter cheese crab and fried salted egg yolk crab

-Fatty Crab at Taman Megah, PJ for their sour & spicy crab.

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating crabs!

God! I feel so hungry, reading this!

Also try the cantonese style of ginger and spring onion crab. Yummy!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
509 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating crabs!

deyveed,

A bit expensive but conveniently located..Bangsar Seafood. Really tasty Butter Crab.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating crabs!

Definitely the salted egg yolk crabs at Seafood Paradise jalan Conlay with huge female crabs with lots of egg inside the shell and lots of meat!

Perth-Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating crabs!

Just come back after a few days in KL.Had a few "Crab Feasts" in Alor street.Request "Sri Lankan Mud Crabs" & the cook will make it to your taste "Chilli" or "Black Pepper" Expect to pay about MR 80.00 for 2 decent crabs.

Happy eating!

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating crabs!

Hi,

There are few restaurants in Pandan Jaya that serves cheap and delicious crabs at RM35 per kg. I think Old Klang Road also has around RM30 crab per kilo.

One of the unique KL cooking styles for crabs is "Kam Hiong" where crabs are stir fired with curry leaves and minced dry shrimp, gralic, dark soya sauce and some cut chillis. It is very fragrant and full of kicks although not too spicy.

Chilli crab (the one claimed to be Singapore signature dish) is a norm in Malaysia and not something foodie prefers.

9. Re: Eating crabs!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 07:19