We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which is best place for shopping?

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
iNDORE
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
which is best place for shopping?

Have read a lot about shopping but still cant decide where to shop:

what do you think is the best place to shop

Bali- Kuala Lampur or Colombo?

And the best place to shop in Kul/bali/colombo?

thanks.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
355 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which is best place for shopping?

we have done bali and KL and for sheer size and choice KL is far better there are many shopping malls lierally next door to each other the best for us was the sutria mall underneath the petronas towers

the other extreme is the night market on petaling street everything is fake haggling is mandatory

bali has hundreds of small lock up stall/shops all selling the same t shirts and bags all trying thier best to scratch a living (lovely people) in kuta thier is a store in the main shopping street cannot remember the name but i bought around 6 shirts which are the best i have ever had

regards straw bear

ps cant help with colombo

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
91 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which is best place for shopping?

basically, what r u look at for..just wondering what Kuala Lumpur can offer u..

1. local stuff: Central Market, Petaling St.

2. international brands: Suria KLCC (underneath PETRONAS Twin Towers), Pavillion, Bukit Bintang..and other shopping mall within city.

no ideas on bali/colombo..

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which is best place for shopping?

HI

KL is a hugh city with many, many malls to suit all purses.

Bukit Bintang is the best place to shop. Bukit Bintang shops and 10 mall - Starhill Gallery [very top end shops but nice reasonably priced restaurants], Pavillion [also the best food court of small stalls and restaurants], KL Plaza, Lot 10, ,Sungai Wang/BB Plaza, Plaza Low Yat (IT malls), YTL Plaza, BB Park, Imbi Plaza, Times Square – restaurants and bars / Jalan Alor for street food. No end to the variety at Bukit Bintang.

Plus there is Suria KLCC at the Petronas Towers, plus the big out of town malls Sunway Pyramid and Lagoon/Mall, Midvalley Mega / The Gardens shopping Malls, 1Utama Mall, The Curve Mall

Chinatown / Petaling Street / night market / street food / UDA Ocean traditional Chinese shopping mall - not much local stuff mainly knock off / fake / replica stuff.

Central Market [architectural heritage also doubles as an air-conditioned arts and crafts market and restaurants]

Little India - Masjid Jamek Bandaraya / hawkers / Silk and fabric stores

Maju Junction, Sogo, Pertama Complex, Campbell Complex, Lorong Tuanku Abdul Rahman street market [Every Saturday between 5.00 pm -10.00 pm]

Chow Kit – Jalan Haji Hussein street market at night is similar to Chinatown / Petaling Street offering fake goods but also local stuff and delicious local food, near the Chow Kit Monorail stop

Various malls and shopping centres around the city, the Mall - Jln Putra, City Square - Jln Tun Razak, Plaza Ampang - Jln Tun Razak, Avenue K - Jln Ampang, The Weld – Jln Raja Chulan, Hartamas Shopping Centre - Jln Sri Hartamas, Bangsar Shopping Centre - Jln Maarof

Craft Complex, Jalan Conlay - Malaysian handicrafts and artefacts, exhibition gallery, craft museum, stage, souvenir and crafts shops, craft demonstrations and practical interactive sessions, as well as a restaurant.

Kampung Bahru for the the Pasar Minggu, or the Sunday Market. The market starts at 6 pm on Saturday evening and ends Sunday morning at 1 am

That should keep even the most dedicated shoppers happy for a day or two.

Have fun.

iNDORE
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which is best place for shopping?

thanks for all the info. really helps.

Love

M and N

Sanaa, Yemen
Level Contributor
372 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which is best place for shopping?

I have been to KL & Bali but not colombo and i highly recommend KL for Shopping. Bali isnt bad but the options are not that much compared to KL plus i found more bargins on high quality goods in KL than in Bali. You will find some good stores in Discovery mall in Kuta bali, but still in kl things are better. If you are looking for knock off clothes bags CDs etc then i i recommend bali because knock off items are everywhere unlike KL where u have to go to china town to buy them.

Milton, Vermont
Level Contributor
214 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which is best place for shopping?

I recently returned from Bali, KL, and Singapore. Bali is extremely cheap for shopping! Clothing prices are a joke, the same goes for food. I bought several t-shirts in Bali for approximately USD$1.50 each. Bali is a great place for handicraft items as well as souvenirs.

KL is next for cheap shopping. You have choices of market type locations such as Petaling Street, Masjid India, and pasar malams, or your typical shopping center type locations which frequently offer plenty of sales. Personally, it's easier to shop in KL than Bali. One gets hassled and pressured to look and purchase in Bali. Also, two things to keep in mind with shopping in Bali. Clothing sizes may be a challenge and quality of certain clothing items can be inferior.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which is best place for shopping?

Both Bali and KL offer very different shopping options. In Bali you can find some very creative clothes and artifacts. KL is a little more international and has more choice. The large malls like Pavilion and Suria has many of the items you can see on the High Streets of UK , so I would recommend Chinatown and Sungei Wang Plaza. Sungei Wang has lots of local fashion houses and great shoe(ladies) shops.

Cameras and genuine watches are cheap in Malaysia but some groundwork is always necessary before committing.

Dont know zilch about Colombo except that Sri Lankans flock to KL and Singapore for shopping.

8. Re: which is best place for shopping?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 02:20