We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free price

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
duty free price

hi

I am going to Kuala Lumpa and penang next month and am looking to pick up some duty free alcohol but i heard that the prices in KLIA duty free is not good and i can buy alcoholic beverages with same price in KL downtown.

is it correct or i should purchase it at KLIA duty free?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,125 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free price

From personal experiance it has always been cheaper to buy spirits at KLIA then buying downtown in Kuala Lumpur when it is actually far more expensive as Malaysia puts a lot of duty on alcohol - well it is a Muslim country!

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
974 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free price

The price at KL downtown and KLIA might be the same but the qty will be difference:

KL downtown serving 0.7L bottle and mostly KLIA is 1.0L bottle, this means that might be same price but you can get more in KLIA.

Sydney
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free price

Hi Cyrus2007,

Prices of alcohol and the range of products available (as well as the size of the bottles is much better at KLIA than anywhere I've seen in KL's duty-free outlets outside of the airport duty-free zone outlets. There are 3 or 4 different Duty-Free stores selling alcohol at KLIA, the range is one of the best in Asia. When they have "special buys", especially on whisky, KLIA's outlets are amongst the cheapest anywhere I've been, and I travel quite alot. Just be aware that the range and availability, as well as the pricing at KL's other air terminal, the LCCT, is not at all comparable to that at the vastly better KLIA. Shop around within KLIA's duty-free precincts and be prepared to bargain a little. I hope this helps you.

Kind regards,

Tony_C_Syd.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free price

thanks a lot for replies

is there any restriction for buying spirits at KLIA duty free for each person?

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
974 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free price

should be 1L/person

UK
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free price

what else can be brought at the duty free ?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: duty free price

i read that KLIA duty free shops are located at both Satellite Building and main terminal building.which one is better?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: duty free price

Just buy your booze (1 litre/pax) after you're done with immigration (but before customs and exit) .. saves you the trouble of lugging it from the satellite building.

Absolutely buy your booze at the airport, do NOT buy it downtown. A bottle of Absolut vodka costs RM62 for 1 litre at the airport, at the supermarket it's RM115 (and it's a 750ml packaging). Both Malaysia and Singapore impose huge taxes on alcohol. Expect to pay between RM18 to RM22 for a v+t and RM15 for a beer (non-happy hours) at a bar/club.

9. Re: duty free price

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 17:21