We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Does anyone know what the inflight entertainment is on this route and what the charge is?

Also I paid extra for 'hot seats with extra legroom'. Is it worth it? Do you get much extra as I am over 6 feet tall?

Tommo

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Hi Tommo,

I did the Melb to Kl flight earlier this yr. Air asia was fantastic for the price!

It is $15AU for the entertainment on board which you can pay in aussie dollar or MYR..are the hot seats in the exit rows? I think they are, as this is where my friends were seated.. you will definitely need the extra if you are over 6ft as the normal seats are small and not much leg room.

Cheers,

Izzy

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Hi Tommo I think the seats with extra leg room are at the front. The inflight entertainment on our flight over last month was the kind where you enter your CC details onto the screen in front of you. On our way home it was portable DVD players that get offered to seats at the front and run our before they get half way through the plane. Fortunately my hubby asked when we were going to be offered them and got the last one. As we had to travel from Adelaide and then stay O/N in Melbourne before flying home the next day, we probably wouldn't bother using Air Asia again unless we got seats for around the price Izzy has mentioned (that would definitely be worth the inconvenience). I would definitely pay the little extra for the legroom.

Lee

Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Hi Tommo,

Travelled last week with Air Asia... on the flight over Mel to KL we had no inflight entertainment whatsoever! When I asked the steward about this he said that it just depended on what plane you got! There were no portable ones on offer either much to the annoyance of our teenagers. On the return flight KL to Mel there were portable screens on offer and luckily we asked about them early because friends of our two seats behind missed out. The cost was RM30 for the sets.

I do believe the hot seats give extra leg room as I saw three at the front which were 'roped off' because they cost extra.

Agree with a previous post reply...unless you get a fabulous price for your tickets, I would not bother with them again. The seats are much narrower than normal economy seats on other airlines which make for an uncomfortable trip unless you are a size 8 or below.

Hope this helps.

PS take your own laptop to ensure you have some entertainment.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Thanks all for your replies.

By the way I only paid Aust $550 for Melb/kl/manila/kl/saigon/kl/Melb including extra legroom meals and comfort kit.(3 countries- Im also going to Boracay whilst in the Philippines) Bargain I feel unless the downturn affects them and they dont fly. Ill put up with a little discomfort for that price.

Tommo

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

i would be happy with that too Tommo. Flights from Melb to Saigon are around $1200ish with Vietnam airlines. And look at how many places you are going to all because of AA.

I agree only fly with air asia if you can get it really cheap! $200AU return to KL why wouldnt you? plus the flight isnt that long to KL to go with out an entertainment screen. On Thai airways once they had no screen for 10 hrs to bangkok. I was not happy about that as you'd expect it with Thai.

Have a great time

Izzy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

I flew Melbourne to K.L in June and didnt bother with the entertainment or meals. I am only short so the leg room for me was fine, the seats are a bit narrow but tolerable. My flight from Melbourne to K.L was $150.00 Aud (one way). I thought that was was an excellent price.

I use AA a lot and am flying from K.L to Singapore soon for a cost of $9.57 Aud.

I also am prepared to put up with a small amount of discomfit if I can get fares like this.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

As stated by Rosli and Izzy flights for $150-200 Melb KL is less than what I have to pay to fly to Cairns from Adelaide. We actually paid $645pp Melb to KL return which included comfort kits on the way over, meals on the way back and luggage up to 25kg. We also booked when the fuel surcharge was still being added. On top of this we have to add flights to Melb from Adelaide and overnight accom on the way back which definitely starts adding onto a cheap airfare. Unfortunately for us, Singapore Airline had a big sale a few months ago and we could have flown to Phuket for less than we ended up paying for all the above, but hindsight is a marvelous thing. If we lived in a city where we had access to direct flights then we would be happy to fly AA, but for now I'll stick to what limited direct flights we have avail from Adelaide, (just hope they have a sale on next year).

Lee

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Hi Lee,

We are travelling on AA in Nov/Dec and our return flights from K.L. to Melb. are at 12.10 in the morning so can fully comprehend your views, as we also live in Adelaide. My question to you is how long did it take for you to get off your plane,pick up luggage and go through customs as I am unsure whether to waste over a couple of hundred dollars in a hotel for a few hours, or maybe hang around the a/port as there is a Jetstar flight out of Melb at 0655.

(How great would it be if Air Asia flew out from Adelaide.)

Regards,

Adam.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Hi Lee,

We are travelling on AA in Nov/Dec and our return flights from K.L. to Melb. are at 12.10 in the morning so can fully comprehend your views, as we also live in Adelaide. My question to you is how long did it take for you to get off your plane,pick up luggage and go through customs as I am unsure whether to waste over a couple of hundred dollars in a hotel for a few hours, or maybe hang around the a/port as there is a Jetstar flight out of Melb at 0655.

Regards,

Adam.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia in flight entertainment Melb to KL

Hi Lee,

Regards,

Adam.