We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Klcat

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Klcat

Hi,

I know that the first train leave Sentral at 05:00 but I wondered what time the check-in opens? We fly out at 9:50 but have been told to check in by 06:50. Will the check-in at KLCAT be open at that time?

Cheers

Bill

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Klcat

HI

The trains run earlier than 5am, the service runs 24/7.

Midnight to 6am every 30mins, 6-9am every 15mins, 9am-4pm every 20mins, 4-10pm every 15mins and 10pm to midnight every 20mins.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Klcat

Brilliant Mitch, thank you. So I can check in my luggage 24 hrs as well?

Bill

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Klcat

Hi

Dunno as we don't use the train, we usually just get a cab to the airport directly from the hotel, equally as quick!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,719 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Klcat

PS

. . . and should have said, by the time you add together taxi and train fares, a taxi direct is just as cheap.

You could leave at 6am, and avoid the 50% surcharge, and it only takes 30-40mins to the airport at that time of day.

Have a great one.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,726 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Klcat

If you take the taxi you also avoid the possibility that they mess up the luggage transfer fr Sentral to KLIA.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Klcat

"have been told to check in by 06:50"....

that seems a little early to me, I am not sure if this is some kind of travel advisory from Malaysian airlines, but if you are flying into Bali, I don't really think they will tell you to check in BY 6:50am. Sometimes the counters are not even open yet.

The trains only run between 5am to 12 midnight. There is no service between 12am to 5am. Hence, KL Cat will only be open at 5am, earliest. You can't check in 24 hours in advanced unless its on the same day.

Lets do a short calculation:

By train: Taxi from Traders before 7:50am to KL Sentral for 2 adults and 2 pieces of luggage: RM 25-30 fixed rate per way. Taxi back to Traders with coupon RM 12 per way. Two tickets for KLIA Express RM 70. Total: RM 110 min.

By cab directly: Call Airport Limo, get a budget cab at 7am, no need to pay early morning surcharge, price is around RM 72 per cab to the airport. Plus you don't need to rush around to and forth to KL Sentral.

The KLIA Express only makes sense to MAS/Emirates/Cathay/Brunei passengers who are staying at the Sentral Hotels because they could just walk down at 6am, check-in, go back to enjoy breakfast and check-out, take the train and arrive 30mins before the departure gate closes. But since you are staying at KLCC, it does not make much sense. Save the time to enjoy a nice breakfast before you leave.

Check again if you really need to check-in BY 6:50. I know lots of locals who fly MAS to Bali, and they are usually at the airport like 1-2 hours before flight time, esp those who use the web check-in.

Remind the Traders that you leave very early in the morning and if you have paid for a Suite with breakfast; they should deliver breakfast to your room at your requested time. Although...they might need reminding 2-3 times and don't be surprised that they might forget and does something funny like brings you coffee although you requested for tea or brings you scrambled eggs instead of a sunny side up. Service and communication at that hotel can be rather confusing....

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Klcat

Thanks for all the info. Global: We have our tickets and they do have a requested 3 hour check-in on all our flights with MAS? So the surcharge period stops at 7am or 6am for taxi's? And thanks for the tips about the traders needing a few reminders!!

Bill

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Klcat

Hi Bill, last time I checked, surcharge was only until 6am. Check with them at the airport if you are not sure. I think its "advisable" to check in 3 hours for an international flight, but its no requirement. Just be there in time for your flight, you need slightly more than an hour from KLCC to the airport. Another good idea is to request the hotel to print a copy of the bills out and slip in under your room door the night before you leave. That way, you can check through the bill and call them up in case of any errors. Saves you 10mins standing around the lobby and waiting for them to print the bills out.

9. Re: Klcat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 12:20
Get answers to your questions about Kuala Lumpur