We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

Hope I am on the right site here, am new to Trip Advisor so please excuse me. I am flying to KL in January with Air AsiaX from Gold Coast. Understand the new A330 aircraft seats do not recline and are quite narrow. Does anyone have any advice or suggestion on whether any seats are better than the next on this aircraft i.e. down the back/middle, seat numbers? Not a long flight I know but would be nice to have a half comfortable trip. Thank you in advance.

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

I have already done this trip once and am about to do it again. I just had the seat that was allocated to me and I did not find it uncomfortable. Maybe I am just easy to please. Both times I got very reasonable fares. What a lovely day today!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

Hi unone,

Here's a link to a trip report I wrote on our flight from the Gold Coast.

The trip report was written late last year and they have changed the plane since then - but all of the most recent posts on this report are only from a few weeks ago.

A number of people have commented on the flight and seating. Have a look it may include the info you need.

I do remember that it is best to avoid row 14 because it has a wall behind it and you feel very enclosed.

Also - the seats do not recline, but there is a lever under the seat to pull the front forward - and to give a slight recline.

As you have pointed out - yest it's not a long flight - we're prepared to put up with it.

click on this link...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k231…

Caroline.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

unone -

When I re-read the above trip report it didn't have as much info about seating as I remembered.

Here's another very recent topic that might help more..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k299…

Caroline.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

Thanks for that link Caroline, I have emailed Kerry from the link to get her advice as she has just returned from KL. Not sounding like a very comfortable trip butguess I will just have to deal with it. Just didn't want to spend the first few days of my holiday on painkillers due to neck/backache :) Thanks again

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

We have done the Goldie - Kl route many times and are booked for a few more.

Yes the seats are narrow and don't recline but at $99 each way I can put up with it. Take a long a small pillow for the trip as it helps.

Quite often we have found the flight to be less than full so have enjoyed 2 seats each.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
918 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

I read a trip report that on the London flights, the seats can recline. So Air Asia uses different kinds of plane for UK and Oz? Anyone done London route lately? Maybe AA has reconfigured their planes.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,958 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

I think the London plane is different.

The Gold Coast to KL is an air bus 3,3,3.

I think the London one is 2,4,2

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,354 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

Yes, have done much research on the new Gold Coast to KL airbus - it is definitely the 3-3-3 seating configuration, unlike most aircraft throughout the world apparently. Was specially requested by Air Asia. Have now spoken to quite a few people who have done the flight recently and it definitely is not good news if you are over 5 foot tall and weigh more than 50 kg :) I agree though that for the $99 price, a little discomfort is worth it. Just such a shame to produce a brand new aircraft with such an uncomfortable arrangement. Would appear that the way to go is to keep a close eye on the empty seats before take off. Thanks for your help.

Quirindi, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

We are also flying air asia x in Nov there are 5 of us traveling. We are wondering will they sit us all close together like a group of three and two either side by side or infront and behind? Can we reuest this when we check in?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia X Gold Coast to KL

To keeys...... you would be better off choosing your seats on the website and paying for this. Go to the website and click on 'Manage My Booking' (I think that is the correct wording).

When I flew Melbourne to K.L in June there were many empty seats at the back of the plane. I noticed that people were moving to the back section and spreading out. Not sure if The Gold Coast to K.L run fills up more.

P.S: Being allowed to move seats very much depends on the flight crew and how easy going they are.