We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

I'm in the pre-planning stages for a trip to KL but the flights are about 22hrs from NYC. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

I already understand I'd have to extend my vacation from 12 to 14 days to account for the loss.

I'd be traveling with an 8 & 13 yr old.

Maybe this isn't the trip to take with kids?

Maybe such a long flight requires more than 14 days in KL?

Thank you,

Tracee

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

Hi Tracee,

I understand your reservations.

We here in Australia are faced with the same delima when flying to the UK. A 24 hour flight - with kids, is very difficult.

You just have to take everything you can with you to help them out. Things like portable gaming (DS etc), make sure you have movie access on the flight, snacks, books, a comfy pillow....

Our children are similar ages and enjoy flying - but 22 hours would test most.

The upside is - it is a day either way, but once you are there, they will have a ball.

I'd be making sure I spent at least a week of my time at a beach resort, like Langkawi or Penang. This could be a good plan for the days before you fly home, so you are rested and ready for the trip back.

Caroline.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

Caroline,

Thanks for the tips!

I think that once they're out of the plane & active, it may all be worth it.

Truth is... I may have just as much of a problem as the kids :-)

Tra

Southport, Australia
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

It will be. We flew long haul for years with kids (now adults) and now one is now air trafic cont.For some people flying is such a marvelous experience, mind you I still manage to keep looking at my watch and working out percentages of "are we nearly there yet"!!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

You'll be fine, I travelled with my kids all the time when we lived in Green Bay, I'd travel to and from Melbourne with toddlers and they did better than I did! Like the others said, just have all their favourite things they like. I always bought something small but new so they could open it up on the plane! granted I had toddlers so a few matchbox cars always worked, but maybe for you a new DS game. Also UNO cards work great too!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,792 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

What carrier are you flying with and what's their schedule like?

perth australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

Nintendo with a new game.

IPOD with audio books.

If you are taking a laptop take a few new DVDs to play.

A few kids/teen mags/book handed out at staggerd times.

Favourite sweets/candy handed out at staggered times.

Mini pillows unless you get them on the plane already.

Make sure you order kids meals and confirm the day before you travel as if your kids are like mine they prefer these to the adult options.

We flew from Melbourne to NY when our kids were a few years younger than yours and survived quite well although the Qantas in flight entertainment was great.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
730 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

I'm putting everyone's suggestions on our Trip Board here at home.

I'm no where near as nervous now.

Now just have to decide on hotel & best time of year for 2010 & we'll be al set.

Thanks to Everyone!

Tra

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

it depends with whom you fly. for example, if flying with emirates, why not have a stopover in dubai? if flying the 'other way round', jal stopover japan. just a suggestion.

pam

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,132 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

Tra - Remember too that you will be able to buy lots of things in KL/Malaysia to keep the kids amused on the way back.

There are heaps of things for kids at the markets and in the shops. We made sure we took our portable DVD player and had a few new DVD's we had bought in Malaysia in our hand luggage for the way back.

We also bought the boys an Edge/R4 card in Malaysia for their DS and it was loaded with 20 new games.

The trip back will be a breeze!

Caroline.

10. Re: Suggestions on dealing w/such a Long Flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2010, 08:15