We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
790 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

Recently AirAsia has started adding an item called 'Convenience Fee' when one make booking with them. AirAsia introduced this fee stealthily - ie w/o any annoucement or notification.

Worse still, this fee is not shown anywhere in the fare calculation and ONLY appears on the FINAL page of your booking just before you confirmed your credit card or other payment details. I believe this is done intentionally so that for those who are not alert might missed this additional charge.

So folks, please be more careful when you book your tickets with Air Asia or AirAsia X as hidden charges might just crept up stealthily, eg they have also increased the luggage charge from RM5 to RM10 - also w/o any annoucement or notification.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

So, what is this "convenience fee"? Can one opt out or is it compulsory? How much is the fee?

I do know that another not so obvious charges is the Go Insure, which is automatically add on, but however, one could always uncheck it.

Of lately, I noticed also that fares shown during promotional period are no longer the "all in fare". Outside promotional period, the fares shown are inclusive of airport taxes.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
790 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

Hi Amy

This is a compulsory fee and it is RM5 per person per sector. So if you are booking for 2 pax from KL - Pg, you have to pay additional RM10 and RM10 for the return tix.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

Thanks for the heads up..

Wonder why is it called "convenience fee"? Hmmm, so "convenient" for Air Asia to impose the fee without any announcement...

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

That sounds very much like the add ons we get in the UK with other LCC's like Easy Jet and Ryan Air. Ryan airs ''free flights'' cost a lot of money by the time you've paid for Credit card fee, on line check in fee, seat selection etc etc. And all are charged per passenger, not per booking.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

Keep it in perspective - Air Asia have recently abolished fuel taxes and are consistently offering lots of fares for not much more than $100A each way to KL. I, for one want them to keep flying and expanding, so I hope they make something out of my fare. Just be savy and check everything before you click confirm payment.

It is still so far below any other fare out of Aus -I'm not complaining.

Caroline.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

In my excitement and rush, I forgot to uncheck Air Asia's GoInsure so by the time I got my itinerary 98MYR was added on top of it. Drats. But to put it in perspective, we only paid around $1,000 AUD return from KL to London for 2 people w/ extra luggage and seat allocation. Can I get these fares with any other airlines - I don't believe so. So lesson learnt, I'll be quadruple-checking everything before proceeding on but still I'm very happy with this airline!

Coco

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
861 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

Hi Caroline,

I'm on the same bandwagon as you - I am happy for a few fees here and there to be charged if it means Air Asia remains profitable and viable and keeps options available to travellers on a budget.

The last thing we want is for these airlines to go by the wayside - so that the old cartel of full service carriers can jack up there prices again.

Even those who travel full-service should thank the low cost carriers as they are bringing down the price of full service as well.

I want to start a petitiion to get Air Asia to do direct flights between Perth and Phuket!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,310 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

Hi

Well said but all add on must be make transparent and make aware of.

Nobody want to be taken for a ride.

Of lately ,AA is is doing it subtly.

You only realise it when you hit the "GO"button with the print out.

Cheers

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

I believe this 'convenience fee' occurs when you use their call centre for bookings.

I had some problems changing my bookings which couldn't be done through the website and i ended up having to call AirAsia for assistance to make the booking.

After all the changes were made, there was, of course, a fee of MYR10 for the assistance!

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of AirAsia's Hidden Charges

I believe this 'convenience fee' occurs when you use their call centre for bookings.

I had some problems changing my bookings which couldn't be done through the website and i ended up having to call AirAsia for assistance to make the booking.

After all the changes were made, there was, of course, a fee of MYR10 for the assistance!