We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Reservations

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, WA
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Reservations

Looking for some advice..... Need to book 2 rooms at a good hotel (I've studied all the reviews!) for 2 nights at the end of our Vietnam trip in January. Not sure how to get the best deal; should I book now or wait? The specials currently offered don't seem to be very special. Also, book direct or use an agency? Looking to check-in 22 Jan for 2 nights.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,975 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Reservations

Hi

Having studied the reviews, what hotels are in your 'good hotel' short lists?

What sort of prices are you getting? Let us know and we can tell you if these prices are about right.

It's a lottery! Deals come and deals go. It's getting lucky for looking at the deal at the right time. Some deals are early, some late, sometimes there are none!

We often find that booking directly with the hotel themselves offers the deals, and you can ring them up and see if you can deal more. If you don't ask you don't get.

There are hundreds of this hotel reservation websites, Asiarooms, asia travel, alpharooms, direct rooms, holidaycity, hotels, hotels-rates, hotelpia, journeymalaysia, marimari, passion asia, to name just a few.

Many of the hotel reservation websites offer deals at the last minute when they want to get rid of rooms they may have, or you might not see a deal as all they rooms are long gone.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Reservations

Hi Mitch

Thanks for your input. I've been looking at all the hotels in the top 10 on this site, and have emailed and spoken to most of them. Would really like to stay at Traders but can't seem to get any sort of a deal......have been talking to them directly also since June. I know the general rules etc., just think it's strange that there's no specials out there. Time of year maybe? My only fear is if I leave it "last minute" I'll pay rack rate, so I'll probably book anyway soon.

Thanks again.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,975 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Reservations

HI

Traders are playing on their popularity on this website - but its not the best hotel, just well rated.

You are arriving just after Chinese New Year, and at the end of the popular holiday season. So prices are pretty boyant, as there is demand.

What sort of prices have they quoted you?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Reservations

Have you checked their website?

I enquired recently for a trip early February, and Irina from Reservations offered me the Traders Smart Deals that included:

** Complimentary Buffet Breakfast

** Complimentary High Speed Internet Access

** Complimentary GUARANTEED Upgrade to Next room Category ( I wanted a Parkview Suite, so she said I just needed to book a City View suite that costs much less and it will be upgraded upon arrival to a Parkview Suite)

**15% discount off Food & Beverages (not too bad since I was already planning three dinners at the Gobo Upstairs)

**20% discount off Laundry & Dry Cleaning

**20% discount off Spa

**IDD Calls & Faxes at cost

** Free Local Calls

**Complimentary covered car park

I am still considering, since it would be practical for me to stay there and attend a wedding nearby; and their rooms are pretty cheap compared to what I would pay at the Hilton... BUT I hated my last stay there and the rooms/bathrooms are not particularly great in any way....

Take a look at their website, I think its the cheapest compared to most agencies. Hope it helps!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,975 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Reservations

The pre-purchase deals are exceptional if you go for them, but you don't get the "extras".

Even the best available deals offer good VFM.

The Smart deal includes the extras mentioned above, they are not free, they are incorporated into the price you pay, so, the question that has to be answered, is the additional cost per nights (around 175myr ++ for a basic Deluxe room per night ) worth the "extras" or not.

Only the buyer can decide that.

Have a great time.

I don't like the pool at the hotel, but the views, especially from the Park View rooms and the SkyBar are exceptional.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Reservations

Breakfast for one adult at the Gobo chit chat is RM 50++ per day, so that makes RM 115 alone for 2 adults. No breakfast is included in AP and Bonus Choice rates for normal rooms.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Reservations

Thanks again Guys

I don't actually have a problem with the prices asked, I just don't feel like I'm getting a great deal. If I tell you what I like about Traders, maybe you can suggest an alternative?

1. Location

2. View of the Petronas Towers (great, but not essential)

3. Clean

4. Good Breakfast

i'm paying for 2 rooms, and don't really want to pay "Club" facilities for my teenage sons!

Thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,975 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Reservations

Hi

Have you looked at the Prince hotel 2 bed appartments?

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Reservations

No but I will do!

Thanks again

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Reservations

There are honestly much better choices around KLCC for serviced apartments. Much better value than 2 rooms.

Take a look at the newly opened Frasers Place KL at Lorong Perak and the Crown Regency Serviced Apartments next to it. Only 200m away from the twin towers and they have prices for 2 bedroom apartments starting from RM 280 a night with breakfast. The Ascott is also right across the road from the twin towers/MO with a great rooftop pool, but the apartments start from RM 600 for a two bedroom.

Hope it helps!