We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air asia with small children?

Australia
Level Contributor
467 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
air asia with small children?

hi

is it worth it? looking at going to KL and penang next year, an 8.5 our flight or so on air asia all up with meals and baggage it works out around $1000 cheaper rtn for the 4 of us than malaysian.

the non reclining seats have scared me a little...also the different airport and low cost airline for maintenance.

just wondering what you think? or have experienced?

thanks

NSW
Level Contributor
99 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air asia with small children?

I say go for it. Just think what you can do with $1000 in Malaysia. We have been going every year since Air Asia came to Australia and have no complaints especially when taking the price into consideration. We've had no safety concerns and only had a 1-2 hour delay once (out of about 14 flights we've had with them) on a Melbourne - KL flight and everyone who missed their Air Asia connections was put on the next available flight at no charge. Our children are a little older but have enjoyed the kids meals and you can hire a movie player thingy for a small fee. One thing I would suggest is to avoid travelling on an overnight flight. I know the children may be more likely to sleep but the seats are small and don't really recline so you will not sleep (well I haven't been able to) and you will arrive with kids wide awake for the day and you exhausted. Not a good start to a holiday.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: air asia with small children?

If you look out for bargains you could find that the savings will be considerable more. We recently flew Goldie - Kl return for $99 each.

AirAsia are upgrading the Aussie longhaul seating and sometime during 2010 you will find proper reclining seats fitted. Info from the seatback on our last flight (Nov09).

Kota Kinabalu...
Level Contributor
466 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air asia with small children?

I've travelled both the Malaysian Airline System (MAS) & Airasia. I've more bad experience with MAS compared with AirAsia.

In term of seats comfortability & meals, I'll go for MAS. In term of ticket fare, I'll go for AirAsia. Both crew service in the aircraft is OK. Not much to compare though....

But the real things why I prefer AirAsia rather than MAS is their action to tell you if there's a flight delays etc. AirAsia always tell me if the flight has been retimed at least a day earlier. They will email, SMS and sometimes call you! But MAS will not do that! They just let you arrive the airport without calling / sms /email you and let you stranded for the next flight!

This is my latest experience with MAS.

We booked a full fare ticket for 4 persons for our flight on 22nd Dec from KL to KK by MAS. We were travelling to Indonesia by AirAsia earlier.

We reached 90 minutes prior to departure which is good enough as they close counter 30 minutes (while airasia 45minutes). To our surprised, they said the flight is fully occupied! How come? We have confirmed our ticket and seat for the 12pm flite as I've an important appointment at 3.30pm in KK. I made noise and made a complaint to the duty manager but they only know to apologise and said sorry as it's the first time. Well I told them that this is not the first time happended to me. A year ago, the same happened to our family but my complaint probably was thrown away to the dustbin. This time I make sure the duty manager sign & give me a copy so that I can follow up as an evidence.

I'm travelling with kids (6 & 7 years old) so this is troublesome as we have to wait for the next flight which is 2.30pm. And the next flite also delayed for 45 minutes!

Although Airasia is a budget airline, but their customer service is superb. They appreciate our valuable time by informing us whenever there's a retimed in flight schedule. You pay for the 5 star price at MAS but get the 1 star custmer service! While you pay for 1 star price for Airasia but your get the 5 Star value!

I'll vote for AirAsia rather than MAS! MAS not worth the money spent.

Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air asia with small children?

I recently flew from Melbourne to Kl with Air Asia.I also did Vietnam and Philippines all with Air Asia. Couldnt fault them. The only negative which has already been mentioned is the seats on long flights are not good for sleeping and a little uncomfortable and are not reclining. Think highly enough of them to book another trip to Kl and China with them in July 2010.

Tommo

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: air asia with small children?

Haven't flown MAS, but I was stuck in Chiang Mai in November 2008, trying to get back to Bangkok during the troubles, when Bangkok airports were closed. My Air Asia flight was cancelled (as were tons of other airlines' flights).

I contacted Air Asia, and they offered me a different flight or a full refund, even though i had not paid for insurance. I requested a refund, and they said they would email me confirmation. Well, I never received the email, but about 3 months after returning home, I received a full refund for the cancelled flight.

So, on my next few trips to the area (Vietnam and Cambodia in March, Malaysia and Singapore in July), I will definitely use them again for whatever flights possible.

6. Re: air asia with small children?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2010, 05:17