We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription glasses

Auckland
Level Contributor
65 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription glasses

Going to KL in August, can you please advise where the best and cheapest place to get prescription glasses. TIA

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,444 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription glasses

Hi

With the many cheap offers in many counteries, it is now not as cheap as it once was to buy glasses overseas.

But our favorite is S&V (Sunglasses and Vision) in Sungei Wang Plaza - good choice of frames, good value and cheaper like for like than the UK, they can test your eyes as well.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription glasses

“ Optical Glasses in Kuala Lumpur ”

May 06, 2010, 6:32 AM

Hubby had glasses made at the below store. Very happy with them. Steven Ng was the person we dealt with. Nice guy. (I think he was the owner). Cost us RM300, approx A$100.This included the eye test also. They were ready in less than 24 hours. Glasses dont last long with hubby as he drops them or looses them. Still got this pair.

Syarikat Supreme Optical

(Optometrists Opticans & Contact Lens Practitioners.)

LG 078, Lower Ground Floor, Sungei Wang Plaza.

03 21487893 supreme.optical@gmail.com

Cheers. Danuta, Perth.

Level Contributor
826 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription glasses

Hi Kiwi2

When I went to KL in March this year I researched optometrist recommendations on the internet on various KL forums and the one TravellingMitch has recommended came up positive continually. Hence I went to them and both my seeing and my sunglasses (got one of each) came out briliantly. I took my prescription with me. I wear both daily over here and I've taken them to my optom here and he has verified the quality of the material and frames. Here is an excerpt from my recent JBR:

OPTOMETRISTS: Later in evening I found Sunglasses & Vision (S&V) in Sungei Wang Plaza as recommended by others on this forum. Ordered a pair of short sighted glasses (took my prescription with me). I picked frames similar to my current Australian optometrist purchased glasses; Stepper brand, frameless, titanium (so very light weight) and slightly different lenses shape but similar size to my current ones. These cost 600RM ($200AUD) whereas my current ones cost me $460AUD in Australia over 5 years ago. I chose the BEST QUALITY lenses on offer (a polycarbonate one) which come with a very good guarantee and my own optometrist has already confirmed the quality of the material used.

I also ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses – Esprit frames (originals) and dark polycarbonate lenses. These cost me 380RM ($126AUD). My current prescription sunnies cost $550AUD in March 2009 (from my optometrist). Ended up picking up both pairs on Tue evening and they were perfect. Have been wearing them with no probs. Bloke was lovely and fitted all to my head/ears etc correctly before leaving shop. Also did some basic eye tests before he placed final order.

Cheers... :)

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription glasses

I've gone to several different optometrists in KL, both for glasses for myself and family. Actually, I tend to go to whichever place is cheapest or has the best promotions and got frames (made in Japan, same fashionable styles as in Japan) for RM80. I paid extra for the best lenses for my mother. At all the optos I've been to at Sungei Wang, I have had good service and no problem with the quality of the lenses or frames. Unfortunately contact lenses aren't so cheap in Malaysia, but I think glasses are much cheaper than western countries and still cheaper than countries like Japan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription glasses

I bought a pair of vari-focals in a half frame for 668 MYR in March, got them from A-Look on the first floor Berjaya Times Square, very good service, eye test is free.

OSSETT
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription glasses

I will be travelling to Kota Kinabalu next April for 12 days and was wondering if any one can recommend an optometrist there for myself and my son. We are also going to be in Singapore, but only for two days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. Re: Prescription glasses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2011, 07:20