We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Phone?

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
141 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
I Phone?

Goi ng to KL on thursday, my phone has just decided to die, can anyone tell me if it is cheeper to buy an I phone in KL or here in Aus. If they are cheeper in KL where is the best place to shop and how

much should I pay.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I Phone?

@buzzaround, iPhone are officially sold in Kl through two of our telcos- Maxis and Digi. With Digi,it is sold under a contract plan,whereas with Maxis,you can purchase it without a contract.

Here are the prices:-

Australia:-

32GB- AUD1040.00

16GB:- AUD879.00

8GB :- AUD719.00

KL:-

32GB- RM2990.00

16GB:- RM2490.00

8GB :- RM1990.00

Then taking the exchange rate that AUD1 buys you RM2.96; then it is cheaper to get it in KL. Head to Maxis Centre which are located in these following shopping malls- Pavilion, Gardens, or Suria KLCC.

OVer here, we are thinking of flying over to Australia to get our iPad (though I have managed to get one in hand from NYC,and waiting for the 3G to arrive in another week).

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Phone?

Before getting your iphone, pls consider other factors. The international waranty, charger voltage, etc.

It may be cheaper but when there is a problem 6 month down the road, can you still get support in Australia?

If you happen to get an offer from any shop in KL telling you that there are iphone which can support dual sim card, pls beware, its imitation phone of low quality.

The higher ends imitations / replicas would look, feel and even have all the functions of the original iphone. You need to really know your stuff to tell the difference.

If you are really getting it in KL, then pls get it from the dealers mentioned by the previous poster.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Phone?

Hi

Totally agree with MK - saving a few dollars might be more costly in the long run.

The global pricing of electrical items is pretty much the same the world round, allowing for VAT / GST. You will get a far better deal at home and on-line, or in the duty free of your home airport. Do your research.

Electronics or electrical goods are no more cheaper in SE Asia than the rest of the world. If you go on one of the many cost comparison websites and put in the products you are looking for you will see what is on offer locally to you to suit your budget.

PLUS, the international guarantee you get when buying over seas is totally worthless when you get home. I mean totally worthless! The international guarantees are not worth the paper they are written on and you might as well not have one.

PLUS, buying overseas does not give you the protection of sale of goods law like you will have a home, so will not have any local law to protect you. Buying at home also gives you the peace of mind of having the full weight of the local consumer law to protect you and your purchase as well as having a good guarantee that ensures your rights. Buying overseas is fraught with a huge amount of gambles, the worse being that the product will not work and you have to pay to fix it and you do not have the support of local suppliers.

It really is not worth it and will only equate to saving of a few dollars / pounds.

PLUS, if you do buy overseas you are likely to succeed the value of goods, which includes gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, jewellery, watches and perfume concentrate, sporting goods, but excluding alcohol and cigarettes bought can be brought in from overseas, so should declare on your arrival back home and then you will have to pay VAT / GST. Of course you could risk not declaring.

PLUS, replica or fakes are a real problem, you really do have to know what you are looking for and at.

There is no issue on electricity / voltage between australia and Malasyia, 220-240 volts, AC 50Hz - just that the charger will need a different adaptor.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: I Phone?

@buzzaround, the call is on you..but with Apple products- no worry with international warranty. I am in fact using an iPad(WiFi) brought from New York....and with operating voltage lower in US,compared to Malaysia,also no issue,because with the syn cable-can charge vide USB thru PC/MacBook,then the adapter that comes with Apple products can take input voltage from 110-240V.

The warranty is supported everywhere.

My iPhone3GS is brought from HK(thru SmarTone).

Just make sure you bring along your Australian SIM card(so no issue with customs in Australia)- all iPhone sold in KL is SIM unlocked.

There is hardly any "packaging" with Apple iPhone-unless you really want to keep the little black box,which can be opened flat. Do not even worry about bringing back the CD-ROM that comes with the package-because all are available online-i.e. downloading and opening your iTunes account.

Just make sure you keep the SIM pin opener with you-this is for you to press and for the SIM cartridge to pop out to install your SIM card.

This is Apple....please.

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: I Phone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2010, 05:17