We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysian Traditional Clothing

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Malaysian Traditional Clothing

Please can someone tell me where in KL I could buy a ladies Malaysian traditional outfit at a reasonable price?

Many thanks.

Bangorian

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,117 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysian Traditional Clothing

LOL, you can buy jeans everywhere!

What particular culture - as Malaysia is a real multi-cultural country?

Did you have in mind Pahang traditional Malay costume and dress, the Baju Melayu ( M) or Baju Kurung (F).

The loose fitting traditionally styled shirts / Blouses (and matching sarongs for the ladies) are available in places like the Craft Complex, Jalan Conlay. A place selling Malaysian handicrafts and artefacts, exhibition gallery, craft museum, stage, souvenir and crafts shops, craft demonstrations and practical interactive sessions, as well as a restaurant. http://malaysiancraft.com/index.cfm

http://www.kraftangan.gov.my (you willneed to translate this page within google)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysian Traditional Clothing

Adding to your problem...the malays (women) have Baju Kurung and Baju Kebaya . Chinese have Cheong Sam and Indians have Sari. This is only for the 3 major ethic group in Malaysia.

Pls be more specific as to which group and whether Male or Female.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysian Traditional Clothing

to add to MK's list and to your problem :P

the malay ladies also wear fashionable jubahs, the modern chinese ladies have their qipao, the chinese nyonya have their nyonya kebaya; and the punjabi girls have their punjabi suit.

you have to head to different parts of town to get different ethnic clothings.

For example - for baju kurung, kebayas ( not the nyonya ones) and jubahs - best head to Jalan tunku abdul rahman and wisma Jakin (near masjid jamek area).

For a whole selection of indian saris, punjabi suits and indian clothing - head to brickfields opposite kl sentral.

for a selection on chinese cheongsam and qipao (off season) - try central market. central market also sells malay clothing. During Chinese new year, cheongsams and qipao are sold everything in the malls.

Northern Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysian Traditional Clothing

Many thanks for your reply. No..I don't need jeans! Just something to remind me of my forthcoming visit to Malaysia.

It looks as if I want Baju Kurung.

Northern Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysian Traditional Clothing

I'm really grateful to all who replied. I am female, and I know that I will enjoy shopping in KL. Now I know exactly where to start searching. Thanks!

6. Re: Malaysian Traditional Clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2010, 06:17