We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

Hi I am Sorry if this has been asked before on this forum , but I have prescriptions issued in Australia and I wonder if you can you buy these common medicines in Kl if I provide the prescription or would I need to see a local doctor, also does anyone know how much Lipitor would cost for 30 tablets ?

I am seeking these two medicines and i have put down the generic brands

Atorvastatin

( brands such as Lipitor, Atoris, Atorlip, Lipvas, Sortis, Torvast, Torvacard, Totalip, and Tulip. ),

used for lowering blood Cholesterol

Thyroxine

( brands such as Euthyrox, Levaxin, L-thyroxine, Eltroxin and Thyrax Duotab in Europe; Thyrox )

Many thanks

Perth
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

Thanks for that Caroline,

Good tip on getting the pharmacy to label the OTC medications as well. I will get that done for sure before our next trip, as I may have just been very lucky so far. Will have to check out the local pharmacies on our next trip to see just what I can get over there, to save all the hassle.

regards

Maree

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

Quite honestly, I don't know what the big issue is about codeine. Perhaps it is listed on the "contraband" list ... wouldn't know as have never bothered to check.

Whenever I head to Aus (or when mates plan their trips here), I buy stacks of at least 8 to 10 packs of 72 tabs of Nurofen Plus which contain 12.8mg of codeine phosphate + ibuprofen ... these last us about 1 year. I also buy some Mersyndol which also contains codeine phosphate + paracetamol. Never, ever had an issue bringing either into Malaysia or Singapore (the latter has a more stringent law) ... I don't even bother to declare.

Ok so there's the issue about "death for drug trafficking" which is real (and I would NEVER muck about with that!!!). When they say "drugs", they mean the hardcore stuff ... heroin, weed, coke, Ice, E.

Perth, West Aus
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

Kev,

I havn't searched KL for the cholestrol reducing tablets you mentioned, but I have for Crestor (rosuvastatin), I found the price there to be slightly more expensive than in Perth.

Kizz

Edited: 31 July 2010, 13:21
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
933 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

MBMPerth, look up Travel doctor on google go to "<home> then <ask the doctor> scroll down to question on osteoarthrits where a lady asks about codeine here is part of the reply,The issue of travelling with codeine is that some countries notably most middle east ones,Singapore,Malaysia and others consider that codeine is a potential drug of abuse and addiction and therefore illegal or restricted in their country .TheUAE has codeine listed"on its "Restricted and Controlled Drugs": list,this implies that generally it is illegal to possess or obtain the drug in UAE without special authority.

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

It seems that Lipitor is cheaper to buy in Australia at $33, why would you want to pay $120myr , unless you're going for a long time.

By the way if you do buy medicine overseas, please declare it on the incoming passenger card when entering Australia under the drugs prohibited question. Imodium which stops diarrhoea is sold in Australia. We bought the same name over in Bangkok and was told by Aust customs that we should have put a tick next to YES on that particular question. They let us off, but we now know for next time.

Perth
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

Thanks for that Aussie010.

I think I'll just follow Caroline's lead and ensure I have my scripts/doctors letters with me and OTC medication labelled. As I say...I've never had a problem in the past...but I dont want to have any problems in the future either!

cheers

Maree

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

Hi Maree,

Our gp has a standard travel letter on her computer. It is very quick to get one - she just changes the name at the top of the letter and adds our medication details. I would think most gps would have a standard letter like this they can quickly whip up.

All the best.

Caroline.

18. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 14:18
19. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 14:18
20. Re: Buying Medicines in Kuala Lumpur

Removed on: 03 August 2010, 14:19
Edited: 03 August 2010, 14:19