We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaysia Day 2010

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Malaysia Day 2010

My family travelling to KL and arrive morning of 16 September 2010 - Malaysia Day. Is anyone aware if money change will be open, airport taxis operating and shopping centres open that day.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,073 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaysia Day 2010

Yes, its open.

Banks would be close, goverment office would be close but shops, malls, money changer, restaurants would all be open for business as usual.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaysia Day 2010

Thank you very much - you have been most helpful

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaysia Day 2010

16 September is NOT "Malaysia Day". Malaysia's National Day (that's what it's called) is 31 August.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,592 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaysia Day 2010

Jules, 31st August is Independence Day (Hari Merdeka), celebrating Malaya's independence from Britain in 1957.

Malaysia was formed on 16th September 1963. So Malaysia Day is on the 16th of September. This year is the first year that Malaysia Day will be a nationwide holiday (declared by PM Najib last year). Previously celebrated only in East Malaysia.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaysia Day 2010

Thanks for clearing up discrepancy

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaysia Day 2010

I should read the local papers more! LOL. Yes I knew "Malaya" became "Malaysia" in 1963 with the merger of Malaya, Singapore, Sabah (which was called British North Borneo) and Sarawak ... there's even a rumour that the "SI" in Malaysia was taken from Singapore's SI .....

Oh like we need more public holidays. Selangor has 16 (or was that 17??) and counting.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaysia Day 2010

Don't think Malaysia could beat Sri Lanka regarding Public holidays ! Poya Days [ Full Moon] Saturdays, Sundays, All three main religious groups' holidays, Bank holidays, Presidentially declared random holidays. Put that with government employees leave arrangements - short leave [part of a day] at short notice, long leave, wedding leave, funeral leave . . . . and then there's " You can see me but I'm not actually here" leave !

Malaysia does well, I think !

Apologies to Sri Lanka. I love you and understand your special qualities !

Archi

Edited: 31 July 2010, 02:54
8. Re: Malaysia Day 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 07:17