We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area best to stay in KL

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Area best to stay in KL

After weeks of searching in the Bukit Bintang area I ask myself is this the best for us? We are two couples, early 40's and like the usual eating, drinking, shopping and sightseeing. A little culture Reasonably active brits and want a reasonably decent hotel or apt. Proximity to walk out at night an asset. If I know this area is for us, it will help us in the quest for the hotel which is the next puzzle. We are well travelled but this is just, oh so confusing to me with the various areas in which to stay. Help please and I know you will! lol. Thank You

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Area best to stay in KL

Hi

I think yes this is the best area to stay; it is in close proximity to shops and places to eat, personally I wouldn't (dont) stay antwhere else.

Edited: 11 September 2010, 22:57
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area best to stay in KL

Agree with Lynne, four times and always stay in Bukit Bintang.

Check the Park Royal web site. fantastic hotel and location.

Perth
Level Contributor
217 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Area best to stay in KL

I would agree with the others - In the Bukit Bintang area you will have plenty of options for shopping, eating etc. It is easy walking distance to most things, and you have the monorail right there if you want to use that.

For other sightseeing, you will have to travel regardless of where you stay.

I agree with nessnem about the ParkRoyal. The location is great. We stayed there twice last year, and are staying there again for a week later this month.

If you do add it to your shortlist - consider their Orchid Club rooms. Sometimes they offer a good deal on these, and on our last visit, we found the perks were worth the bit of extra money - so will be staying at club level again this time.

cheers

Maree

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,117 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area best to stay in KL

Hi

Being a couple just a wee a bit older than you, we really like the Bukit Bintang area. We enjoy the choice and range of shopping, the proximity of the monorail giving connections to other areas, and that fact we can walk if we want to. We walk a lot, day and night.

We would also not stay anywhere else.

You won't find a huge amount of culture in BB, but as shopping is a Malaysian passion, then perhaps you will.

Lots of hotels. Park Royal is popular with families, and if your budget would stretch then do look at the 5* hotels like Ritz Carlton, which is our favorite hotel.

Have a great time!!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area best to stay in KL

Hi kgldsun,

If it's your first time to Kuala Lumpur (or even second or third) then absolutely Bukit Bintang is a fantastic place to base yourself.

You have a great range of choices in terms of food including hawkers along Jalan Alor, Jalan Imbi, and Jl Walter Grenier (Food Court) plus some well rated food courts at Pavillion Shopping Centre, Lot 10 Shopping Centre, and a huge number and variety of restaurants along Jl Bukit Bintang and up along Jl Sultan Ismail.

Of course there is plenty of shopping with 7 "malls" or shopping centres along Jl Bukit Bintang ranging from the high end Starhill Gallery through Pavillion, the soon to be opened Fahrenheit 88 (formerly KL Plaza), Lot 10, Sungei Wang (our absolute favourite, very cheap and local), BB Plaza which is attached to Sungei Wang, and just back off the main road, Low Yat Plaza along with a number of stand alone stores and stalls. One street back you have Times Square which has a theme park inside the shopping centre!

About a 10 minute walk there is Suria KLCC underneath the Petronas Twin Towers which includes some beautiful surrounding parklands, and on the convention centre side Aquaria KLCC (a lovely way to while away an hour or so, especially if, like Subbi, you really enjoy fishes).

You're only around a 20-30 minute walk to Chinatown and Little India, plus minutes away from this is the beautiful Merdeka Square. To save on walking you can always grab the monorail to Maharajalela or there is a free shuttle bus from outside Times Square and BB Plaza to the Central Markets (right near Chinatown).

With the Bukit Bintang Monorail station you have access to transport to a number of other sights, via the Monorail you can get to the KTM Komuter Train (direct to the Batu Caves, Port Klang, Seremban, and is also the way to get to Mid Valley Mega Mall, to Sunway Pyramid Shopping Centre and Theme Park, and to the Mines Shopping Fair), and the two KTM Lines.

The only reasons we no longer stay on or around Bukit Bintang is we have started staying cheaper than we used to (previously 4-5 star all the way, we now stay in 0-3 star as we generally don't make use of hotel pools, we definitely don't use hotel gyms, we rarely use the restaurants in the hotels, and simply need a clean, safe, comfortable place to stay with aircon and our own bathroom) and now often stay at the Prescott Inn Medan Tuanku both because of its price, and because of its proximity to public transport. We are 250 paces from the Medan Tuanku Monorail Station (300 to the ticket counter), 4 minutes from the Sultan Ismail LRT Station, 10 minutes to the Dang Wangi LRT Station and about the same to the Bank Negara KTM Station. We are also only about a 30minute walk (not fast) to Bukit Bintang and no more than 20mins to Little India/Merdeka Square/Chinatown.

That said, until 2007 we never stayed outside Bukit Bintang and would recommend it to pretty much anyone!

Hope this helps,

Lise & Sabrina

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,837 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area best to stay in KL

I think we have a consensus here. I would be the 6th person who would say that yes, I agree with Bukit Bintang as your best option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Area best to stay in KL

I am staying in Bukit Bintag for my shopping trip :)

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
51 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Area best to stay in KL

Agree that Bukit Bintang area is favoured by many. However, I was looking for a decent, inexpensive hotel, near a rail stop. Went to KL on 1 Sept 2010 with my 22 year old daughter and stayed 3 nights at the Citin Hotel Masjid Jamek. Cost £25 for a twin-bed air cond room on the 5th floor,which included breadfast. The busy, crowded bazaar is located just outside, and the stores( clothes, eating etc) remain open until 10-11pm. The nearby area is quite congested and chaotic with quite a bit of traffic. However, at no time did we feel unsafe even at night. Also,HSBC is located a couple of minutes away ,handy, as we found that our Nationwide Visa could not be used in many of the local banks/ATM.

UK
Level Contributor
94 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Area best to stay in KL

Thanks for all your messages and advice. I think its clear where is best to stay and so off to Bukit now!

Decided we will stay in 'Farelane residences', due to the high excellent reviews and lack of mention of 'bedbugs'!

Thanks again.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Area best to stay in KL

well defo got to be bukit bintang youv got everything in such a small area hotel food and shopping !!