We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few Qus, first timers

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Few Qus, first timers

Hi all,

We depart from UK on 20th Jan for our honeymoon to KL then onto Thailand. We have 2 nights in KL. Which area is the best to stay in? Should we be staying near KLCC/Pretonas Towers area or Bukit Bintang? Would appreciate any reccomondations for hotels. I am considering Mandrian Oriental, just based on reviews on here. Also, are there any must do/see? Im guessing in 2 days it wld be the shopping/pretonas towers/batu caves? How far is it from airport to centre?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few Qus, first timers

Lisa FAQ top right hand side will answer most of your questions.

For me Bukit Bintang is the area to stay. Here is another link that might help:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298570-i7008-k364…

Your best friend is the search facility here on the forum where historical threads can be found. Rest assured most of the questions you asked will have been asked before.

As far as hotel choice there are lots of previous threads on this and choice depends on budget. Checking the reviews is the best way to make a choice as where there are multiple reviews to assist with your decision. One of the favourites here on this forum is the Park Royal Hotel and its in a great location

Tommo

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few Qus, first timers

Many thanks for your reply Tom :), which i appreciate.

I shall have a look at the FAQ tips and also at the Bukit Bitang area as i'm guessing Pretonas Towers and shopping are very nearby here.

Our budget is approx £80-£100/room per night and i shall check out the Park royal hotel. Many thanks xx

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
334 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few Qus, first timers

Hi Lisa

We are staying at the Novotel this year, we have booked a suite and have access to the exec floor with it's benefits, it is just behind Pavillion and about 5 min walk to KLCC, I prefer this location to central Bukit Bintang but each to their own. Because it was cheaper we could use the money to upgrade to a suite etc. I think we've paid about £80 per night.

Jo

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
1,661 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few Qus, first timers

jodieh12

Ive done the same as you for my next trip. Ive booked the Novotel Hotel. This is for the same price as what I usually pay for the Park Royal.

But I got a great deal in the Novotel on the executive floor in a suite. The executive floor benefits include:

- Personal check-in and check-out at Premier Lounge located on the 28th floor

- rooms located on 23rd to 28th Floor

- Usage of Premier Lounge facilities

- Breakfast at the Premier Lounge

- Broadband internet access

- Complimentary local calls to land line numbers

- Complimentary usage of Premier Lounge meeting room up to maximum of 2 hours per stay

- Complimentary evening cocktails and canapés at Premier Lounge between 5.30pm – 7.30pm

Tommo

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few Qus, first timers

Hi!

I was also looking at hotels in KL. I have already booked The Royal Chulan for 3 nights for my honeymoon. And its costing us some 270 USD via booking.com. Its just the nett room cot for 3 nights. The hotel a rating of 8.9 t booking.com and great reviews. However seeing you post i wanted to check what was the package deal you got at Novotel and the rate? thanks!!

Karuna

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few Qus, first timers

Thanks everyone. I had a look at the Novotel hotel but the reveiws don't seem as good as the Mandrian Oriental, Traders, Park Royal & Royal Chulan, which are the hotels we are considering. Could anyone please advise, in their opinion, which of these are in the best position. I beleive Bukit Bintang may be the best for us.

I'm very excited, just booked a reservation at the SkyBar for a Sat evening at 6.45pm as read this was a good time to go?

Jodie : £80 for a suite sounds fantstic, great deal :)

tom : The complimentary evening cocktails sound great!

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,059 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few Qus, first timers

It depends on what standard of room your wanting Lisa, and what you want from your stay , if you book a club room in any hotel you will get ll the club facilities but remember nothing is free/complimentary, your playing for it all in your room rate.

Some hotels (such as Traders) you will get the same standard room, but with club facilities, on club floors.

Having not stayed at the Novotel cannot comment on the rooms but the reviews (not just on TA) are not good. The Mandarin, IMO needs a refurb and is long overdue, and if you have ever stayed in another MO the standards are not up there with the rest. However the pool area is great, with fantastic views.

Also have a look at the Shangri-la, another hotel a lot of people recommend. But I would not recommend the Crown Plaza.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,636 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few Qus, first timers

Hi Lisa,

To be fair, the Oriental should really be compared to the Shangri-La, Westin, JW Marriott. These are 5 star.

I would rank Park Royal, Novotel, Royal Chulan and Traders in the same comparison list.

brisbane
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few Qus, first timers

Hi Lisa

I have just stayed at the Parkroyal and it is in an excellent position - right in the heart of Bukit Bintang - very close to shopping and not far from the Petronas Towers. I spoke to a couple last week who have just stayed in one of the suites in the Parkroyal and they were very impressed with the extras you get with the club lounge.

Enjoy your stay and happy honeymoon!

Karen

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,047 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few Qus, first timers

I can also highly recommend the Park Royal - for location and service - excellent.

I think tommo booked his Novotel deal in one of their big Accor hotel sales - which they roll out a few times each year.

I also think the Royal Chulan is excellent value.

Caroline.