We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates - what to do

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
322 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates - what to do

I have quite a nice dilema!

I'm travelling for business to KL in January and am travelling there by myself a few days early then coming back with colleageus. My choices are to depart Manchster at lunchtime and fly on the new A380 to Dubai then onwards not on the A380 and arrive at 2pm, enough time for a relax, dinner and bed. OR leave at 8pm not on A380 and connect with the 10am flight from Dubai ariving KL at 9pm, quick snack then bed.

Now the reason I'm considering the second option is we have done this leg before and the stewardess said that the Dubai - KL sector was "always empty", we had a row of 4 seats to ourselves, as did most people on the flight. I wonder if anyone can confirm that this sector USUALLY is not full, I know you can't predict how busy a plane wil be but have lots of others experienced the same thing?

THanks

JO

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates - what to do

<the stewardess said that the Dubai - KL sector was "always empty",>

I fly this route a lot, (sector UK then DXB-KUL) and I have never seen the plane empty. I f anything its rammed full. Of course there will be times when Economy will have spare seats, but nothing can be guaranteed. I usually get the 03.15 from DXB. How long ago did you las take this flight?

I'm flying next week MAN-KUL, on the 380 and have done this before and the plane was full in the past. Everyone preferring to be on the new plane perhaps!!!

Can tell you next week how it is

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates - what to do

Hi

You may get a better response if you post on the Airline Travel forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Can I just get the question straight . . . your question is not on what time to leave MAN as the flight you pick out of DXB will decide this, but if you should catch the early hours or mid morning flight out of DXB to KUL?

I would not say the DXB to KUL sector is 'always empty' but travelling to KUL is not as popular as to other SE Asian cities, so flights can be empty.

When travelling the DXB / KUL route have seen empty seats in economy - we normally get the flight EK342 out of DXB arriving into KUL 9pm. This flight does tend to be the least popular flight as it 'looses' a day actually in KL, as EK346 does get you into KUL 7 hours earlier.

However, having seen empty seats in the past will never guarantee it will be like that on the date you travel - as dates / times of year vary considerably.

Have fun!!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,541 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates - what to do

The last time I travelled this route, which I'd admit is sometime back, the flight from Dubai continues on to indonesia, and OMG, the plane was full of indonesia domestic helpers on their way home. It was horrible. It was as if they were first time on a plane. They talked to their friends 3 rows down at full volume, they chattered among themselves in the same row...etc It was a most difficult flight, one that I will remember for a long long time.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates - what to do

Hi

You may get a better response if you post on the Airline Travel forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Can I just get the question straight . . . your question is not on what time to leave MAN as the flight you pick out of DXB will decide this, but if you should catch the early hours or mid morning flight out of DXB to KUL?

I would not say the DXB to KUL sector is 'always empty' but travelling to KUL is not as popular as to other SE Asian cities like Bangkok or Singapore, so flights can have empty seats here and there. But do remember that KUL is the home hub for Air Asia the low cost carrier, so its getting a popular hub for SE Asia.

When travelling the DXB / KUL route have the odd empty seat in economy - we normally get the flight EK342 out of DXB arriving into KUL 9pm. This flight does tend to be the least popular flight as it 'looses' a day actually in KL, as EK346 does get you into KUL 7 hours earlier. However, KL342 can be cheaper and therefore, can be very popular.

However, having seen the odd empty seat in the past will never guarantee it will be like that on the date you travel - as dates / times of year vary considerably.

I would not bank on the comment of a stewardess, I would go with the option that best suited your plans and budget!

Have fun!!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,533 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates - what to do

I would not rely on the Stewardess comments. Malaysia is a popular holiday destination for people from the middle east so the flight from Dub to KL is likely to be busy even though it may not be full.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
322 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates - what to do

Thanks guys I know it's not a life or death situation and do appreciate your responses, I just don't know wether taking a chance on having a spare seat next to me or arriving at a reasonable time and relaxing is worth it and I know I'm the only one that can answer that. I just thougth if many people had said oh yes I fly on that flight regularlry and at least half the time there is spare seats then I may take a chance.

What does everyone think of flying on the A380 or is there a better discussion somewhere else for this question?

Manyt hanks

Jo

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates - what to do

jodieh, I can understand you wanting to have the space but no-one can predict what the load on any flights are going to be.

The 380 is popular and would be fuller than the other flight from MAN, but the 777 may be full as well!! As far as the seating pitch etc. on the 380 well its a new plane, but its still economy and all economy can be a endurance. You do get slightly less seat pitch on the 380 as opposed to the 777. Some like the 380 others prefer the 777. You can have a look at the comments on Skytrax and also Seat Guru for seat configurations etc. You could also read a bit on flyer talk. Might help you make your mnd up.

My other half who flys this route every month says the 380 was completely full in all classes last week. In my last half a dozen flights from DXB have all been very very busy.

Only you can decide if its worth taking the chance with either plane.

http://www.flyertalk.com/

http://www.airlinequality.com/

seatguru.com/airlines/…information.php

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates - what to do

In terms of the plane itself, I recently flew Perth to London on Emirates and the 380 was lovely! I honestly felt it was such an improvement on standard economy. If you do go on this plane, I suggest the front section of the plane directly behind the pilots. It's a small area so very quiet and relaxing.

Further to your original question about the chance of empty seats, in the last few years every times myself and others in my family have flown Emirates the plane has been packed!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates - what to do

same as everyone else the aircraft is always rammed full !! to kuala lumpur from dubai, the only time iv ever seen spare seats wer on a 2.00am flite from k.l to dubai, and then there wernt that many empty.!

10. Re: Emirates - what to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2011, 06:18