We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KL....Here now :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Topic
KL....Here now :)

Decided to write while we are here, as i forget so much of the details of our travels once we have arrived back home. Arrived in KL at 5.30pm, last night, flew Air Asia from Perth, WA.

Our flight was due to arrive at midday, however bad weather over China affected their aircraft rotation.

That was the official explanation from them.

We recieved 2 emails & 1 txt at 12.10am thursday morning, so we were pleased the notification came & didnt have to spend 5 additional hours at airport.

It was a very long day yesterday, so by the time we checked in to Royale Bintang Hotel (thanks to Danuta for the reccommendation0, this place is great value, comfy, so well located & staff are lovely.

We opted for a drink or 2 & light dinner in the hotel cafe.

Nice food & the live entertainment was fun...They were getting into the christmas spirit, singing lots of carols to all who were dining.

The taxi driver from the airport was awesome, he speaks excellent english, takes great pride in his cab & seems very knowledgeable about his country.

We were so impressed with him, that we booked him for the day today, to see the sights...What a smart move.

He not only drove us to some great places, but was our tour guide as well. He answered any questions we had & explained the meaning/origin of the places we visited.

8 hours for 200 MYR. Now i dont know if this is expensive or cheap, at around $60 Aus. we thought it was excellent value.

This is our 3rd trip to KL & it never seizes to amaze me that although this is essentially a concrete jungle, there are so many places here that are full of lush greenery, that are a welcome oasis from the tall buildings & traffic.

We topped off the day with a freshen up back at the hotel & then a wander down to Lo Yat & Sungei Wang Plazas for a spot of shopping.

Scored 2 pr of designer sunglasses at my favourite optical store in Sungei Wang, have been visiting this store for 3 yrs now & never fail to receive excellent service & prices. Saved at least $225 on the 2 pair i purchased. For anyone interested, Optical Arts, shop 103.

Coffee fix & people watching at Starbucks, then dinner & a few icy cold Tigers at Outback Steak House. These guys know how to cook a good aussie steak.

Back to hotel to chill in the bar for happy hour & am relaxing in our room, as i write this.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,829 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KL....Here now :)

Just here report!!

Sounds like a fun time!!

Thanks for sharing.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KL....Here now :)

hiya travelnut top report sounds as though your well enjoying it?, i love going to starbucks on bukit bintang at about 9am and gettin the chair next to the road i get a mug of tea and take my book..!! but never get to read owt as im to busy people watching!!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,829 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KL....Here now :)

Don't you just wish that you were there now, hey Mags?

Did not get over 0'c here today, and we have quiet a snow laying about.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KL....Here now :)

do i soooooo wish i was there now!!! minus 9 last night ,

only 60 days or 1 month 29 days or 8 weeks!!! whichever comes first!!!!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KL....Here now :)

Good deal

8 hours for Rm$ 200 for taxi hire.

Very fair and reasonable market rate

Edited: 04 December 2010, 01:59
Queensland
Level Contributor
663 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KL....Here now :)

Hi Travelnut, I hope you got the name and number of the taxi driver?

thanks Ella

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: KL....Here now :)

Leopang, we thought it was a good deal, very comfy car, good a/c & leather seats, as well as being first rate driver, very safe & very willing to take us where ever & very knowledgeable too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: KL....Here now :)

EllaQueensland

Sure did, Mr.Azwan, +60196607190, highly reccommend him, such a nice young man :)

200Myr for 8 hours around the sights & 550Myr for day trip to Melaka & back, including waiting time & sights etc.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KL....Here now :)

What a shame your flight was delayed so you lost precious hours in Kuala Lumpur.

We liked the Royale Bintang (Danuta actually asked us about the Royale Bintang back when she was first looking at staying there - it's how we got to know her) - the location is great as you are close enough to just wander over to Chinatown, on the much feted Bukit Bintang, close to Jalan Alor, and close to lots of massage places too ;o)

Good price for your taxi driver!

Sounds like you're having a good time so far, will look forward to catching up when you get back (thinking January for the next "TripAdvisor Perthite" Get Together)!!!

Lise & Sabrina

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: KL....Here now :)

Hi Lise & Sabrina,

Yep, having a great time, shopping myself silly & seeing some grest sights etc.

The hotel is, as you say, close to everything, so extremely handy.

Had a bit of a scare in chinatown tonight, but will save that story for the Perth get together :)

Oh well, at least i have a holiday story this time, its usually Dave who almost causes the international incidents when on our travels hahaha

Cheers

Pftt2P

Susan :)