We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Barnoldswick UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go?

Hi Guys.

Can you think of anywhere I can travel by train, within 2 hours of KL, which is of interest.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,705 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

No where very exciting by train . . . . .

Barnoldswick UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

There must be somewhere?

Edited: 11 January 2011, 18:00
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,705 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

Midvalley Mega Mall?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

2 hours by train? That would be Ipoh or Melaka....or was it a bit over 2 hours?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,705 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

But the train does not go to Malacca does it . . . . .

Tell you what GORT, what do you want to see, and then we can figure out the best way. Or are you just after riding the trains?

6. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2011, 08:10
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,723 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go?

There are 3 train networks operating around KL.

One is the LRT/monorail, that serves suburbs within KL. If you are asking about this, then basically the main tourists areas like KLCC, Mid Valley, Bukit Bintang, Batu Caves..etc that you would want to visit. Travel time would be 15-30 mins depending on where you start and where you alight and whether there is a change of train or not.

The second one is the Express Rail Link (ERL) line. One train is the KLIA express that goes from KL Sentral to KLIA. The other one is KLIA transit which does the same route but stops along the way. With KLIA transit, you can get off at Putra Jaya, take a cab and have a tour of Putra Jaya

The third network is the KTM network. This is the traditional Diesel locomotive that will take you all the way down to Singapore or all the way up to Bangkok if you so choose. Based on the train schedule, 2 hours will get you as far as -

Note : Timetable are for illustration only, you need to check with KTMB for the latest schedules

Northbound :

KLSentral (1423hrs) - Where you board the KTM train

Tanjung Malim (15:52hrs) - Proton Assembly Plant

Sungkai (16:28 hrs) - White water rafting

Kampar (16:58) - Suburb of Ipoh

Ipoh (17:33) - Chicken Rice

Southbound :

KLSentral (1400hrs)

Serdang (14:29) - Universty

Kajang (14:40) - Famous for Satay dish

Seremban (15:23) -Enroute to Port Dickson

Tampin (16:14) - Enroute to Meleka

Hope this helps.

Barnoldswick UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go?

Thanks guys for all your info.

the thing is,

I've been to KL many times, and this time I'm staying at the sentral hotel, very near the railway station, and I thought it would be good to hop on the train, and go somewhere different, I visited the Batu Caves last year, using the monorail system.

I was thinking somewhere like the Cameron Highlands, but I've discovered it's more than 2 hours away from KL,

So if you could come up with any more recommendations it would very much appreciated.

I'm only in KL for 2 days

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go?

Your criteria is "by train" and within "2 hours". With those criteria, Maic has pretty much summed up all the possible places. Travel by train is pretty slow and the rail network is limited, there is nothing much else to recommend.

If you are willing to change your criteria, more options will become available. i.e. drop the train requirement, and Ipoh, Port Dickson, Melaka, etc become feasible options.

Barnoldswick UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go?

I've decided to catch the train down to Seremban, and then hop on bus to Port Dickson, is the bus station nearby?