We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

Hannover
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

Hi all, I'm travelling from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and

wonder if its worth to take the train or should I rather fly?

Flights are dead cheap so I would only take the train if it is

a scenic ride.

Has anyone done that trip?

Thanks!

darwin
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

we took the day train and it took 9 hours.you soon tire of seeing green,green and more green.all very close to the track,so it is not a s scenic a trip as if you went by bus.should you decide to take the train and not like noisy TV ,book seats in the middle of the carriage as there are tv sets at either end.

australia
Level Contributor
630 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

i'm also thinking of doing the train from Sin to KL for something different and to get away from using airports all the time. hoping it will be ok...

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
192 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

but its safer i guess taking the train.

do take the sleeping berth.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
347 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

We are taking the sleeper train in march, we are going to book first class sleeper cabin and I believe it's 290rm, should be fun!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,825 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

I've done the train a few times. I've loved it overnight but the one time I did it in the daytime the train was freezing cold and I was uncomfortable the whole journey.

The overnight train is great fun. I like both the public carriage and the private berth. In the public carriage you get a comfortable bed with a curtain to pull across so you get some privacy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

Yankeeacht,

One airport look very much like another these days, whilst travelling by train gives a different view of a country and the people. Singapore to Kuala Lumpur is a twenty minute flight, if that; you have time for a cough candy.

But everyone I have recommended to use the train has always said how much they enjoyed it and meeting and talking to fellow travellers was the bonus. I have yet to have someone come back and tell me the train ride was not worth the effort.

The question you should be asking is if the flight is worth the effort - not the train.

No airport scanners, no restrictions on carrying water in your hand luggage, no need to have your shoes put through an x-ray machine before you board your flight.

Having spent five great months in Hannover in 2000, I stayed in Celle, these are not the ICE trains but rather slower old fashioned type. But trust me you will enjoy it. Treat this as part of the holiday, not a commute.

Hannover
Level Contributor
14 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

Hi Screensilver,

some years ago I took the eastern route all the way to Thailand and that

was fantastic! So I do know the railway of Malaysia and the benefits of travelling by train. But many people report the western route as "boring"

and as I'm short of time anyway (only one night in KUL), I think I will take a plane this time.

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

Scenically, there is very little to break the monotony of mile after mile of palm oil trees, so if time is short, fly.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

Hi, it actually all depends on you as flight can be very cheap nowadays, if you like meeting fellow traveller and enjoying the scenery, train is very good, personally I love train compared to flights if time is on my side, do ask me for travel tips if you are in Malaysia, follow me on twitter @ jozam79

Mentioned in this post
Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from SIN to KUL worth the effort?

Don't fly or train... take a coach. Quicker than the train. As quick as flying, but far less hassle!