We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any hints on small Aussie gifts to give for thank you in KL?

Qld Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Any hints on small Aussie gifts to give for thank you in KL?

Hi everyone, would it be correct manners to offer small 'aussie' gifts to say thank you to very helpful hotel staff etc in KL. On previous trips we have given money/tips to our room staff to say thanks, and that's fine with us but have made good friends with lots of other staff in the hotel and would love to give them something just as a token of our appreciation.

Any suggestions would be great, I'm sure all the KL experts will be able to guide me here. Thanks always for all the great hints and tips.

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur
The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur
#8 of 364 hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur
Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur
#10 of 364 hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Hilton Kuala Lumpur
#12 of 364 hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Queensland
Level Contributor
673 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any hints on small Aussie gifts to give for thank you in KL?

Hi spotty, in the past I have taken those little koalas from the souvenir shops, also the cadbury chocolates in the supermarket they come in a pack of about 6 and they have australian animals on the wrappers. Also in the cheap shops like prices plus or dollars and sense you can get calendars for $2 with australian animals or scenery. also shops may still have a lot of stuff left over from Australia Day. Hope this helps, cheers Ella

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any hints on small Aussie gifts to give for thank you in KL?

For gift to Malaysian, you need to consider that there are 3 different major races...Malays, Chinese and Indians. Each have different do's and dont's.

For Malays, Islam being their religion, whatever you give out...make sure its not made from Pig Skin or skins of animals that live in 2 habitat (land and water). Some more liberal type would use perfume but some not as it contain alcohol.

For Chinese, made up of a few group...freethinker...buddhist and some christian. Everthing and anything goes for freethinker...for buddhist...some dont mind cow / ox skin product but some do....for the last group....dont think there is any taboo except for a upside down cross...lol.

For Indians....again its made up of a frew group...Hindus, freethinker, Islam and even Christian. Again...no ox or cow product for Hindus.

Having said the above....hope you understand that there are still those who stand in the middle of it all....a buddist chinese or a Hindu Indian who dont mind a leather handbag, wallet or shoe.

Those little Koalas, key chain, chocolates would do just fine.

I have colleagues of mine who recently receive chocolates which was bought from overseas but since there is no "Halal" mark on it...my colleague gave it to me. Why? Because my colleague say that the milk used to make the chocolate may come from a cow farm which also have pig. I dont think i want to argue with that and just eat the choccolates..its from Belgium....delicious!

Am i confusing you? Well....Malaysia is a very complex country.

Mentioned in this post
Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any hints on small Aussie gifts to give for thank you in KL?

All I can add is the old adage that "money speaks louder than words"! Although a token gift is a kind and welcome gesture I believe it should be accompanied by some Ringit. We often leave chocolate bars or other little things on our bed for housekeeping, but always with money too. In general, money is what these wonderful workers are hoping to see and receive. That and a comment card with accolades about them, mentioned by name, for management to see!

Qld Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any hints on small Aussie gifts to give for thank you in KL?

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will take some little koalas and also some chocolates. (I will have to hide them from myself though, as I am quite a chocolate addict. If I get hungry on the plane they will probably be all gone before I even land in KL. LOL)

Bettembourg...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any hints on small Aussie gifts to give for thank you in KL?

"If I get hungry on the plane they will probably be all gone before I even land in KL"... so leaves you with the gifting option of $$! LOL!!!

6. Re: Any hints on small Aussie gifts to give for thank you in KL?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2012, 05:18